Thread: Freezer ice dispenser stuck in "crushed" mode

Default Freezer ice dispenser stuck in "crushed" mode

Model Number: FRS26TS6DW1
    Brand: Frigidaire

Despite the "Cube" button being selected, my freezer only dispenses crushed ice. I tried cleaning out the ice bucket but it didn't help. I also tried pressing "crushed" and then "cube" but still no change. Any ideas?

I see this happen alot on the Frigidaire models, its easy to fix, just take out the ice bucket, then make sure the metal arm that extends out from the back of the bucket moves up and down freely, sometimes ice can jam it.

Also check that plunger that the arm sits in , its located inside the freezer where the dispenser bucket sits, to the right of the auger motor, make sure that white plunger moves up and down freely, thats it.

While the ice bucket is out, also switch between cubed and crushed while holding the freezer door light switch in, then push the ice dispenser lever and see if that solenoid moves up and down on its own.

If it doesn't then you'd need a new solenoid assembly:
    Manufacturer part number 241675701 is RepairClinic item number 1196605

Jake

Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default My experience.

First of all, thanks Jake for your response. And yes it worked for me. However the plunger just kept sticking for me after a day or two. So I thought...."there must be some frost up there making it stick. So I got out my wife's hairdryer and shot that into the hole where the plunger is and it seemed to really free it up. "However, the next day it was froze solid. I couldn't even work it loose with some force applied." so I thought again.....There must be a lot of water in there that I thawed with the hairdryer and all that water froze up solid. So I got out my wife's hairdryer again and pointed it in the hole again. Soon it loosened up again and was working freely. Then I figured I better get rid of that moisture so it doesn't freeze up solid again. So I thought again.....I need WD-40 because the WD means Water Displacement. So I put on the little spray tube and aimed it into the plunger area and sprayed it generously with a rag handy to wipe any excess drips. That was two weeks ago and my icemaker switches between cube and crushed flawlessly. I don't know if I just had a coincidence or if this was a true fix. But this was my experience.
    Thanks again Jake. I like my Frigidaire again.
    Dennis
    Last edited by dentil; March 21st, 2011 at 05:10 PM.

Sounds good Dennis, whatever works is fine.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts