Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [FIXED] Haier wine fridge, not cooling

Default [FIXED] Haier wine fridge, not cooling

Model Number: HVFM20
    Brand: other

Hello, I just bought used wine fridge and it does not cool. The guy I bought it from said it needed re-charged, but he didn't tell me how he knew this.

First, everything looks nice and clean , no leaks, rust... It seems the compressor runs, but does not cool. I can hear the coolant boiling (gurgling) inside the fridge. It gets cool to the touch, but not cold. After a while the compressor will get hot, so I unplug it.

It has a LG compressor RSIR type (NSA36LACG) R134a coolant, P6R8MC PTC starter

I checked the Ohm's on the three pins R-C-S
    RS- 15Ω
    SC- 9Ω
    RC- 7Ω
    there was no reading (OL)from the pins to the case(ground)

I ran 110v to the 'C' and 'R' and a momentary switch to to the 'S' to test the compressor. Since I have never heard this compressor, I'm not 100% sure it is working. But it seems to work, it's much quieter than older compressors I have heard - it vibrates and hums, just can't be sure it's pumping. But I do hear coolant inside the fridge so I think it's moving coolant.

My conclusion is it is ether the compressor which is not working right or it is low on coolant. This is a closed system, no valves to add or test coolant. I am leaning toward the compressor being bad because I can still hear the coolant, and I think if there were a leak, all of it would leak out.

The compressor is under warranty but not the labor, labor was estimated at over $200, new it was only $150. Haier won't send me a compressor only an authorized dealer and after they have determined it to be bad.

Any ideas as to how I can make sure the compressor is working correctly, or a way to check the coolant?

Yes, sounds like a bad compressor internally not pumping the froen around the sealed system like it should.

Unfortunately, consumer's can't change their own compressor, unless you have a refrigerate license and a refrigerant recovery device and a turbo torch, with lots of sandpaper and solder for welding and new R-134a refrigerant.

Thats why its never a good idea to buy a used refrigerator or wine cooler when the guy you buy it from says it needs to be re-charged.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Everything is becoming too expensive to fix, it's a shame. I wish Haier made it easier to access the lines to test them.

If I added some R134a to the system, I would know if it were the compressor or a slow leak. The compressor has three lines: high and low pressure and a stub - Is this stub where I should tap into the line and add the R134a? Is this the process line, LG labels this stub as the suction line?

Yes, the stub you can tap into or the low side, do you manifold gages to see what the low side pressure is?

The low side should measure between 1-3 for pressure.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Yes, the stub you can tap into or the low side, do you manifold gages to see what the low side pressure is?

The low side should measure between 1-3 for pressure.

Jake

I had read that the low side should be 103 psi - are the pressures different for the stub and low side? Thanks for all your help - I will get some gauges to use, beg borrow or steal. I understand I will have to braze on a A-1 line tap and I read the system should only take 2oz of R134a - does this sound right to you guys? And then when I'm done, what do I do with the tap, do I braze that shut as well?

I left the fridge plugged in all night, this morning it was down to 60F - this is within the normal operating temp. I turned the controller down to 50F and will see if it keeps working. But the compressor is very hot. Does the compressor run this hot by design? I still feel something is wrong somewhere

I had read that the low side should be 103 psi
    Where did you read that at? I've been changing compressor's for over 20 years and its always suppose to be between 1-3 for pressure on the low side when its running.

Yes, 2oz. of R134a sounds about right for a wine cooler, normal refrigerators take between 5-6 oz.

If you braze the tap-in then you don't need to remove it, leave it on, you only have to remove the tap-in if you use a non-braze type tap-in.

With the compressor that hot, that tells me its a bad compressor, so I doubt you will do any good by trying to add freon.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

That could have been a typo '0' and '1' are next to each other on my keyboard. A friend of mine has a manifold and tap I could use...

I think it is the compressor too, I was just wishing for another option. If I could get the compressor I would fix this thing. But Haier won't ship me the compressor even though it's still under warrantee. I have to get an authorized dealer to look at it and they will ship it to them.

Thanks for all the help

Ok, yes thats true.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Quote Originally Posted by trex66 View Post
    That could have been a typo '0' and '1' are next to each other on my keyboard.

the '0' and '-' keys are next to each other...

I'm lost, what are you trying to say.

Sorry, its been a long day.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast