Social Buttons
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maytag Plus refrigerator is not cooling

Question Maytag Plus refrigerator is not cooling

Model Number: MZD2766GEB
    Brand: Maytag

I noticed yesterday the the milk seemed warmer than it should....this morning it was almost room temp. I moved everything out the the garage fridge.....I called a repairman and just got some advice....they wanted me to check the temp in the freezer and the fridge. the freezer is 14 degrees and the fridge says its 41 degrees but feels so much warmer than that. The fridge is set on the almost coolest setting. Are those temps normal for the freezer/fridge? The milk and sodas are warm so I know its not cooling properly....So where do I start? I am trying to avoid calling a repair person.
    Thanks,
    Ivy

Nevermind the fridge is 55 degrees and going up....I hadn't given it long enough to register.

Remove the back panel from inside the freezer, its #20 and see if the evaporator coils #8 are massively frosted up.

Is so Ohm your defrost thermostat for continuity while its still frosty to get a proper reading, should read 0-1 ohm. If the defrost thermostat is not frosty when you ohm it, you will get a high reading.

Here's the defrost thermostat heater assembly for your model:
    Manufacturer part number 61006199 is RepairClinic item number 1025806

Put your ohm meter probes in the 2 white wire plastic connections, remember it has to be still frosty for a proper reading. Should read 0 ohms.

Then put your ohm meter probes in the black and middle white wire plastic connections, that will ohm your defrost heater, should read between 11-50 ohms.

Unplug your refrigerator first!

If the defrost thermostat ohms at 0-1 while its frosty, and the defrost heater is between 11-50 ohms then order the adaptive defrost control board.

Here's the adaptive defrost control board for your model:
    Manufacturer part number 61005988 is RepairClinic item number 948430

Let us know what you find.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

I am having the same issue with my Maytag Plus refrigerator. Its model information is MZD2766GEB.

Jake - Thanks for the diagram and photos. Those are great to read up on.

Ohm your defrost thermostat for continuity while its still frosty to get a proper reading, should read 0-1 ohm. (Mine was .5)

If the defrost thermostat ohms at 0-1 while its frosty (again .5), and the defrost heater is between 11-50 ohms (mine was at 22) then order the adaptive defrost control board. What should the readings come out if everything was working properly?

If I purchase the adaptive defrost control board as you suggested, how difficult is it to replace it properly?

Thanks,

Harmsen

Verify first,,,, when you open your freezer door, do you hear a fan running inside?

Did you check if your coils are frosted up?

Default Troubleshooting

I removed the covers. The fan underneath the top cover was running fine. The coils seemed to be frosted over evenly. I just defrosted the entire unit with a hair dryer. I will check in about 2 hours or so to see how the condensor looks. If it is evenly frosted, what are my next steps?

Thanks,

Harmsen

Ok Harmsen,

Watch this video here to replace the ADC board:
    http://www.partselect.com/PartDetail...6&SourceCode=3

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake - I am blown away at how helpful this video is. Thanks! I'll let you know how the condensor looks in about an hour after the unit has had a full two hours to cool down.

Again, can you tell me what the ohms readings are supposed to be if the unit was working properly?

Is there a chance to repair my current adaptive defrost control board or are these always replaced with a new board?

After defrosting the condensor with a hair dryer and allowing the freezer to run for 2 hours, the refrigerator temp. has lowered to 50 degrees from the original 60 degrees and the freezer is cold as well. I don't have a thermometer in the freezer, but the condensor looks like it is evenly frosted. Does everything seem like it is cooling properly? Should I purchase one of the adaptive defrost control boards to be safe?

Thanks,

Harmsen

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast