Thread: GE side by side refrigerator problems - gets warm inside

Default GE side by side refrigerator problems - gets warm inside

Model Number: GSH22SGPCSS
    Brand: GE

I am having some issues with my GE side by side refrigerator. Purchased 2004. Model GSH22SGPCSS.
    There are several things I have noticed, I am not sure if they are caused by the same problem or not, but Iíll list it all here in case it helps pinpoint the cause.
    My primary problem is that intermittently (though not all the time) when I open the fridge first thing in the morning (after no one has opened it all night), the food in the top shelf in the fridge will be WARM. I also notice that the wall between the fridge & freezer is warm. When this occurs the ice cubes in the ice cube tray also get half melted. After opening the doors, the fridge seems to restart & blow cold air.
    This is a real problem since the food ends up warm & then the half melted ice cubes refreeze into a block.
    Next issue is that intermittently the water dispenser does not work. It is all or nothing, it does not sputter. I do not notice any ice or sediment come out when it restarts. It will consistently not work for periods of time (hours/days), then seems to work other times for (hours to days). I donít notice anything seemingly wrong with the temp of the water that comes out when it is working (doesnít seem too hot or cold).
    Iíve changed the water filter x 2. Iíve also made sure the air is able to circulate in the freezer - the back of the interior of the freezer is not blocked. I vacuumed off the condenser coils in the back of the fridge.
    A third issue (not problematic or bothersome) though I mention it if I may help pinpoint the problem Ė occasionally when I open the fridge door, the number settings of how cold the fridge and freezer are do not light up. The numbers stay blank. Though, the fridge light does come on. If I close the door and reopen it the numbers come on eventually.
    What is the next step? Replacing the circuitboard in the back of the refrigerator and/or one in the front? Any advice appreciated.

Yup, bad motherboard.

Here's the motherboard for your model you can order here:
    Manufacturer part number WR55X10942 is RepairClinic item number 1531075
    WR55X10942

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Similar Issue

Model: PSS26NSTESS

I have a very similar issue. The only difference is the numbers on the control panel don't have an issue lighting up. Also, the fridge and freezer are uneven in temperature. Only the top really seems to get hot, most likely because hot air rises but the temperture readings on the panel seemed to be measured somewhere below the top.

Yes, then its likely you have a bad motherboard as well, very common part to go bad with this issue.

Yours uses the exact same one as I posted above.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts