Thread: Performa Dryer problem

Default Performa Dryer problem

Model Number: PDET920AZW
    Brand: Maytag

Hello : I wonder If some one can assist me. I have a Performa Dryer (made by Maytag) Model # PDET920AZW which suddenly quit throwing heat and blew the fuses each time I replaced them. I took it apart and removed the drum to find the black wire leading from the motor to the coil burned off at the coil end. What has caused this problem and which of the heating or thermal fuse things have to be replaced. I know nothing of electrical or meters etc. Does anyone know a likely target or seen this before. Thanks for any assistance you can render.
    Dono

Default Performa Dryer problem

Since my last post my better half added that she thought the timer did not advance properly when the problem started ( no comment here) , so heres what I've done thus far. Picked up a Mulit-tester and learned how to use it. I took my dryer completely apart since that is the only way to access two of the below mentioned items in a Performa Dryer ( I will never get another one with no rear panel access) . I checked the High limit thermostat , Thermal Fuse , Cycling Thermostat , door switch with the tester and all appear to be okay. The element was metered and visually inspected and is undamaged and working fine.The motor spins fine both directions and appears undamaged.
    I am now lead to believe that the timer is probably the only thing left that could have been the problem.
    So I do not know how to test the timer without running ther dryer nor do I know if thats the only way to test it. Or can the meter tell me something ? Would appreciate any thoughts before I buy and install the timer. Thanks for anything anyone can assist with.
    PS : This was such fun I intend on taking my entire car apart in the driveway just so I can put it all back together again for the weekend. I never liked beer and football anyway lol.........................

Well that wire from the motor to the heating element burned off at the heating element end worries me, are you absolutely sure your heating element coil is not touching the heater housing and shorting out?

Watch this video:

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Re: Performa Dryer

Thanks Jake. I tested everything after I put it all back together and the only real problem I could find was the dryer vent blocked with lint below the lint screen pretty bad (even though my wife constantly reminds everyone to empty the lint screen). I did notice one of the bottom legs on the dryer was not level and there could have been a small bounce going on as the dryer sits on a tiled floor and slides sometimes when leaned on and then gets repositioned sometimes. The heating elements for these dryers are in a rather thin housing so although the coil looks to be very secure on the element possibly a bad bounce caused contact and a short. I doubt it , but there just seems to be nothing wrong with any of the parts. I did a load of laundry as a test last evening and the dryer (and timer) worked flawlessly with no problems , or odors of any burning etc. So we will monitor the thing for a while to see what happens but it looks to be running fine now. I was not home when it all occurred so its difficult to say what transpired. Anyway thanks for the tip , I'll let ya know if any more troubles arise and the problem is more obvious.
    For those with the same model Performa dryer reading this (Mod# PDET920AZW) , to access all the required thermostats , element etc. , you must pop the top of the dryer , remove the two inside screws holding the front panel (its held at bottom by slots the panel sits in) , remove the front dryer drum frame , and remove the belt/drum. The element removes via two bottom screws at bottom of element housing and is a " red dot element " ( for replacement info). Your High Limit Thermostat and Limit Thermostat are attached to the element housing. Your Cycling Thermostat is attached by the blower wheel housing area area. Hope I have that all right. Good luck , and thanks again Jake.
    Dono

Sorry , one more thing. I did find that the timer could be tested by finding the two large wire terminals , removing one wire , and checking continuity between the two. Everything looked good on my dryer timer.
    Dono

Ok, sounds good Dono.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Performa Dryer

Hi Jake ..... the saga continues. I know you have already seen some strange Perfroma timer stuff judging by previous posts. So here's another.
    Okay I did a load of laundry last night drying it on the normal cycle and the Performa dryer dried them fine. Timer on meter was also checked and fine. But today my daughter put a load in on the " More Dry " cycle as opposed to the normal cycle , and when I watched the timer it did not move. It stayed on the highest heat position without moving. My wife then clarified it was the same cycle she used when this whole mess started.
    So my question now is " is this enough to fry that black wire from the motor at the element coil end " and why would the high limit thermostat fuse not blow prior to that ? I meter tested it and there was continuity and it seemed fine ? I'm about ready to take this thing to the dump before the house burns down and its less than three years old. Any help appreciated.
    Dono (getting gray hair)

Yes, this is very unusual Dono, I have no idea why this has happened.

Its way "out of the norm" from everything I've seen, so you'll either need a tech. come out or go buy a new dryer.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Performa Dryer

Okay Jake thanks. Its drying a load on the normal cycle again as we speak just fine. I need a new timer for the other cycles so I'll spring for a new timer and we'll see how it goes. Take Care.

Ok, sounds good.

Here's the timer for your model:
    Manufacturer's Number: 37001240

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts