Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [FIXED] Drum Gasket and Rear Shell Bearings

Default [FIXED] Drum Gasket and Rear Shell Bearings

jnicosia has a great how-to about changing the rear bearing on the Frigidaire & Kenmore made by Frigidaire(model# starting with 417)

You can view the instructions here:

http://www.applianceblog.com/washers/Rear.pdf

A updated version that jnicosia has provided has more pictures and information:

http://www.applianceblog.com/washers/RearBearingV6.pdf

Here is the Outer tub assembly with bearing and shaft seal:
    Rear Drum with Bearing 131525500 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Here is the complete inner and outer tub assembly you can now order:
    Drum Assembly 134453200 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

First off, you guys rock!! Thanks for all the contributions and information provided in this forum. The "How to" on bearing replacement is fantastic!
    I recently returned home to the dreaded "washer is making a horrible noise and isn't draining" scenario.

I figured out pretty quick that the drain pump wasn't turning so ordered the part. When I removed the pump I found a chunk of metal in it that was stopping the pump and had, in fact broken one vane of the impeller. Ever the optimist, I put it back together and ran it. All was great until the spin cycle, and the all hell broke loose.

By now I had stumbled upon this site and figured that, given the symptoms, I had a broken spider on the drum and possibly bad bearings too. I priced the parts and decided that it was new washer time.

However, I HAD spent $62 on a drain pump and I couldn't let this defeat me, could I?

Hey now I'd have a spare washer for the hangar! Pulled the drum out today and surprisingly the problem appears to be limited to the spider (way worse than any of the pictures on this site, to date)and some gouging of the tub due to the out of balance drum.

Bearings didn't seem to have gotten wet and rotated smoothly (I'll still be replacing them though).

One thing I found interesting was that the original bearings were made in China -Guess that shouldn't surprise me though. The parts will likely arrive while I'm on my next trip so the reassembly will have to wait. I'll let you all know how the project comes out.

I've attached a picture of the drive end of my drum. The chunk missing out of the arm at the 10 o'clock position is the piece I found in the drain pump. Do you suppose this damage is caused by hard water? I've NEVER had a washer only last 4 years!

Regards,

Jerry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0321.JPG 
Views:	3534 
Size:	470.6 KB 
ID:	45  
    Last edited by Jake; July 27th, 2005 at 11:39 PM.

yep, it seems that this machine has a lot of failures after about 4 years. Good news is that if you are handy, you can fix it and should be set for another 4-5 years.

I have seen pictures with much more corroded spider arms than yours. I would say that the culprit is corrosive water more so. Good idea to do the bearings while you have it apart.

Hello,

Thank you for all the help in repairing my washer. The info and photos are great. I am attaching a picture of the culprit in my frontload kenmore washer. Any suggestions on how I can have the inner basket shipped to me for only the cost of shipping. I would just as soon complete the repair myself at this point.

(The "expert" I paid to tell me what the problem was, mis-diagnosed the problem and wanted to charge me for unnecessary parts and labor charges that equaled the cost of a new washer.)

Again, thank you so much for all the information and guidance.

Best regards,

Stephen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inner Drum broken arms.jpg 
Views:	3061 
Size:	357.1 KB 
ID:	46  

Does anyone have the McMaster-Carr part number for the bearing seal? I've emailed them two separate times mentioning the 40X80X10DL generic part number and so far, I've beentold by one rep that they don't carry them andthe other rep forwarded me the link to their sealed bearing catalog pages.

Moorpark (via Motherwell, Scotland), California, USA

Any of you gents heard of a similar (replace bearings/seals only) fix for the Maytag Neptune? I understand this is becoming more of an issue on these as well.

I ordered all the parts to repair my Frigidaire washer before I left on my last trip. I should be home early Saturday 5/14 and will post the part number for the seal once I receive it.

Jerry

Guys Repairclinic.com now carries the bearings and seal as a pak. I do not have the part number, and I cannot find a generic search engine on their site. But I recall that the description was "front load washer bearings". You can probably call them to get it.

Moorpark (via Motherwell, Scotland), California, USA

I would love to know if these are more of the same Chinese bearings.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast