Thread: Locating and cleaning freezer drain in frigidaire FRS22VSAW0

Default Locating and cleaning freezer drain in frigidaire FRS22VSAW0

Model Number: FRS22VSAW0
    Brand: Frigidaire

Hi everyone. I have a Frigidaire side-by-side Model FRS22VSAW0 that has been giving me trouble. There has been ice that forms on the bottom of the freezer and leaks out the bottom for quite some time. Recently, the coils in the back have become frozen over and the freezer and fridge haven't been cooling properly (hopefully just due to the frost over the coils). I've defrosted the freezer and removed the back panel exposing the evaporator coils, trying to find and clean out the drain.

I think it's in the bottom there under the coils but I can't really see it well or get to it to clean it out.

Am I looking in the right place? Any suggestions on getting in there and finding/cleaning out the drain? I hope it doesn't require trying to pull out the coils. Can you access from behind the freezer where I see the drain pan is dry, but can't really see a tube going to the pan?

Thanks for any help/advice you can provide.

Yes, your defrost drain hole/line is directly underneath your evaporator coils, you may have ice covering it and thats why you don't see it.

Get a droplight or flashlight so you can see better in there.

Clear out all the ice in your drain trough(below the evaporator coils) with a hair dryer and hot water, then run something down the defrost drain hole, like a little rotor router snake.

I use a evaporator cooler spider snake:
    http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Products/Cooler-Spider-Snake__CLR4690.aspx

They are used basically in Arizona to clean out the water pump tubes that run to the cooler pads.

I don't know if they would sell them in your area, but if you go to your local hardware store, they should have something similar to run down your drain to clean it completely out.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Thanks Jake! Now, Freezer not cooling

Thanks very much for your help Jake.

I was able to defrost and locate the drain hole and finally clear an obstruction at the very end of the drain tube. I think that took care of my long term issue (more than a year) with water freezing in the bottom freezer and leaking out during the defrost cycle.

But I'm wondering if the more recent problems(last month or so), buildup of frost on the back and freezer/fridge not staying cold enough are a different/more serious problem.

I plugged it back in and put a thermometer in the freezer and fridge portions. After 36 hours, the freezer only gets down to 30-31F and fridge is around 44F.

Does this sound like the freezer/fridge is broken?

We're actually in the very beginning stage of a kitchen remodel that will have us buying a new fridge in the next couple of months, but I was hoping to use this fridge until then and then use it the basment after we bought a new one.

Thanks again for your help.

Did you put your back panel back on inside the freezer? If not, thats the problem your having now.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks Jake. I did put the panel back in before turning the fridge back on. The rubber piece that runs on the outside of that panel didn't look perfectly secure, so I taped the rubber piece down to the panel after I put it back in. I hope that's not a problem.

Still not getting really cold. After 36 hours, the freezer only gets down to 30-31F and fridge is around 44F. I'm just using a standard digital outdoor thermometer.

I know that the gasket at the bottom of the freezer door section is degraded some from the leaking defrost water over time (and is not adhering well to the freezer door). Could that cause my problem with not cooling enough? Can I put a bead of caulk where gasket attaches to the door to help re-attach it to the door and prevent possible air from leaking in?

Any other thoughts? Thanks for your help.

I know that the gasket at the bottom of the freezer door section is degraded some from the leaking defrost water over time (and is not adhering well to the freezer door). Could that cause my problem with not cooling enough? Can I put a bead of caulk where gasket attaches to the door to help re-attach it to the door and prevent possible air from leaking in?
    No, the door gasket being degraded some won't cause that much loss in the cooling.

Ok, if your back panel has been back in place, remove the back panel again from inside the freezer and look at your evaporator coils, and make sure you have a thin layer of frost on ALL the coils, if not then thats the problem, which would be your compressor has gone bad.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks Jake. I'll take a look at the coils. It was frozen over on the back panel with an inch of whiter ice before I defrosted.

Can I ask your advice on one other item?

As I mentioned before, we'll be buying a new fridge soon (perhaps sooner now). We're looking at 3 models of bottom freezers with french doors but no ice/water on the door.

Do you have any experience with the reliability of Samsung, LG and Whirlpool that might be helpful in our choice?

Thanks again for all your help diagnosing the problem with our current fridge.

I don't work on LG or Samsung products as I quit Sears to start my own appliance repair company in 2005 when these were just first coming to market and Sears didn't train me on these 2 brands.

But Whirlpool yes, I know all about Whirlpool. Whirlpool is very good and reliable.

As I say to others, Samsung and LG make good cell phones, TV's, and monitors, but when it comes to home appliances they have a long way to catch up with the USA big boys Whirlpool, Maytag, Amana, KitchenAid, Frigidaire.

So you want a cell phone, TV, or monitor get Samsung or LG, if you want a reliable home appliance get Whirlpool, Maytag, Amana, KitchenAid, Frigidaire.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts