Social Buttons
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GE Profile Arctica Fridge Temp Control + Icing Problems

Unhappy GE Profile Arctica Fridge Temp Control + Icing Problems

Model Number: PSW23PSTASS
    Brand: GE

GE Profile Arctica Side-by-side Refrigerator

Model: PSW23PSTASS (3-sided stainless steel)

Purchased: September 2006

Jake/Jim/Anyone -

Problem: About 6-8 months ago the digital temperature readout for the fridge side (set to 37 as recommended by GE) started to read/indicate higher than 37. I would set it back to 37 but the fridge readout would never return to reading 37 even many hours later. So, at first it would read 38, I'd set 37 but the next day it would still read 38, even when you opened up the fridge first thing in the morning/the fridge door had been closed all night. After a day or two it would read 39, I'd set 37 again but it would never indicate 37 as time went on. This process continued over 5-6 months until the fridge temperature gauge indicated 59 degrees. When all this began I assumed the fridge cooling capability was slowly failing. However, 3 months ago I put a small analog/needle temperature gauge in the fridge and it indicated a temperature far below what the fridge's digital readout said. (If I remember correctly the analog temp gauge read somewhere very close to 37). My wife also noticed a large chunk of ice forming immediately behind the 'Fresh Produce' tray (this is ~10-12" above the fridge's interior floor/bottom). The ice formed on the back wall on the left hand side over a protruding plastic hump that obviously covers some cooling component/sub-assembly. And, finally, about 10 days ago the milk in the fridge started to freeze if it got to less than about 1/2 gallon.

When this started 5-6 months ago the freezer side would also indicate something (-1, I think?) other than the recommended 0. However, for the last 3-4 months or so it indicates 0/appears to be working normally. The water dispenser on the freezer door and the ice cube maker in the freezer both work fine (so far).

A Sears appliance technician came out about a week ago, saw the ice formation in the fridge and said it was large enough that if he put a heat gun to it that it might damage the plastic part that was iced over and recommended we take all the food out and turn off the fridge and eliminate the ice by letting it melt slowly. He said it's possible that might fix the problem. I doubt it.

So.....the fridge doesn't indicate that it's maintaining the recommended 37 degrees but in fact it's running too cold; so cold that ice is forming behind the Fresh Produce tray and freezing milk stored on the top shelf (just generally too cold in the fridge side and no way to control it).

A correct assessment of the problem would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
    Last edited by Twister; April 3rd, 2011 at 01:29 AM.

I'm not familiar with this model, I will see if Shawn can help you, I just messaged him.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I'm not familiar with this model, I will see if Shawn can help you, I just messaged him.

Jake
    Jake -

Hey, I've read quite a few of your posts on this blog and it's obvious you know a TON about GE Profiles and are willing to help. I am very anxious to read what you or your associates say about this issue.

THANKS! - Dan
    Last edited by Twister; April 3rd, 2011 at 01:30 AM.

Unhappy

UPDATE - I defrosted the fridge, completely eliminating the large chunk of ice that had formed immediately behind the 'Fresh Produce' tray and plugged the fridge back in. I set the fridge to cool to the factory recommended 37 degrees and after ~48 hrs of cooling I have the same problem with the fridge's digital temperature gauge: the gauge reads 54-57 but a portable digital gauge I put in the fridge read (tested 3 times):
    top shelf - 38, 36, 23.9
    2nd shelf - 35, 32, 29.3
    3rd shelf - 36, 36, 34.8
    4th shelf (forms the top of the 'Deli' bin) - 36, 32, 32.5
    Inside of 'Deli' bin - 37, 33, 34.5
    Inside of 'Fresh Produce' bin - 39, 37, 35.7
    Inside of 'Custom Cool' bin (bin was set to 42) - 48, 46, 44.4
    Freezer is set to 0 and indicates 0, 0, 2

Thoughts?

This is a dual evaporator refrigerator, which means that you have a cooling coil in the freezer as well as the fresh food section as opposed to a conventional refrigerator that uses only one evaporator (cooling coil) in the freezer.

The evaporator coil in the fresh food section has a defrost cycle just like the freezer only the fresh food evaporator uses forced air to remove frost as opposed to a heater used in freezer. When the main board determines that the fresh food section is cold enough to energizes the three way valve to cut off refrigerant flow to the fresh food evaporator therefore the fresh food stop cooling but the freezer can continue to cool if needed. When this happens the main board will not turn the refrigerant flow back on until the fresh food cool is defrosted.

The reason I am telling you this is because I feel like the coils in the fresh food section are frosted up and causing your problem.

The very first thing you need to check is the fan in the fresh food section is running. This fan is located just above the evaporator coil.

Then access the evaporator coil to see if the coil is clogged with thick ice and if so you have a defrost problem. What normally causes this is the thermistor that is located behind the evaporator. The problem is this thermistor cannot be accurately tested without accessing it. It is so hard to access the thermistor I would never access it without replacing.

The only part of your problem I don’t understand is how the evaporator could be iced up as you say it is and the fresh food is too cold at the same time. You could have a problem such as the main board is “trying” to turn off the three way valve and cannot because of a faulty valve. These valves don’t fail often at all but anything is possible. Another possibility is that the main board has failed and is not turning three-way valve off. The thermistor at the top of the fresh food section may be faulty causing the board to keep the valve opened too long causing it to freeze up.

I have so pages on my website that were written just for these model that you may find helpful.

GE ClimateKeeper Dual Evaporator System Freezer Not Freezing

GE ClimateKeeper Dual Evaporator System Fresh Food Not Cooling

GE ClimateKeeper Dual Evaporator System Refrigerator Not Cooling

Jake,

I would have answered earlier but I haven’t checked my e-mail this weekend. I was too busy fishing LOL!
    Last edited by shawn111; April 7th, 2011 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks Shawn, thats ok.

Hope you had a good fishing trip.

Thanks for helping Twister out, I've never worked on this dual evaporator GE model.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Shawn / Jake -

Thanks for replying. Yes, the fan in the FF side is definitely running; we confirmed that by seeing the blade spin. The fridge now also makes a noise (a fan running) that I do not recall hearing before; it runs for maybe 3-7 minutes (?) and then turns off for a while.

Question: when you say above to access the evaporator coil to see if it's clogged with thick ice, do you mean the coil in the freezer or the one in the FF side? You said above that you thought the problem was caused by the evaporator coils in the freezer side so I'm assuming you mean check the evaporator coil in the freezer? Plus, can you pls explain how the evaporator coils in the freezer not defrosting could cause cooling/freezing problems in the FF side if the FF side has it's own evaporator coil?

Not 100% sure if the freezing food in the FF side is still a problem or not. The milk is at 1/2 gallon and there's no ice in it like before but the FF's temperature gauge still reads 58 despite setting it at 37.

If you'd tell me which side (freezer or FF) evap coil to check next, or any other info to my questions, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by Twister; April 8th, 2011 at 12:38 AM.

I am sorry that was a mistake on my part. The coil I was talking is the ones in the fresh food section. Since this is a dual evaporator the coil in the freezer doesnít have anything to do with this. Very sorry for the confusion I was thinking one thing and wrote another and I didnít have time to proof read.

I would almost bet that the coils in the fresh food section are clogged with ice and the thermistor behind the coil is bad.

I corrected my mistake in my first post to avoid future confusion.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by shawn111 View Post
    I am sorry that was a mistake on my part. The coil I was talking is the ones in the fresh food section. Since this is a dual evaporator the coil in the freezer doesn’t have anything to do with this. Very sorry for the confusion I was thinking one thing and wrote another and I didn’t have time to proof read.

I would almost bet that the coils in the fresh food section are clogged with ice and the thermistor behind the coil is bad.
    Shawn -

Thx for the clarification. I don't know if you read my 'update' post but after I posted my original problem I defrosted the fridge about 5-6 days ago and got rid of the ice that had formed in the FF side, ie, there was no more ice to check. However.....my wife just told me that ice is indeed forming in the FF side again. (BTW, do the evaporator coils look like they're wrapped in super thin, short pieces of metal that almost looks like very short strands of silver Christmas tinsel? That is what I see when I pull off the shroud near the fridge floor in the FF side.)

So how much does a new thermistor cost? Do you have one on a site you'd recommend and how tough are they to replace? Would a bad thermistor also be causing the digital temp gauge in the FF side to read incorrectly, ie, reading 57 degrees and the actual temperature be 32 or below???
    Last edited by Twister; April 8th, 2011 at 12:41 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast