Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washer-Front Loader

Post Washer-Front Loader

I have a front loader, model #417.40052990 that was not spinning out the water and that was thumping, like it was not in balance. I re-distributed the clothes in the washer and changed the cycle and the water did spin out but the thumping still remained. My husband has taken the washer apart and seems to think it is part #131462800? I hate to order a part without knowing exactly what we are looking for. Any suggestion?

Thank you,

Sandy Reynolds

Moorpark (via Motherwell, Scotland), California, USA

Post imported post

Distinctly possible - this is becoming a regular issue with these machines. There have been threads on here in the recent past re this, check back on the postings.

Post imported post

Thumping could be a broken support brace on the internal wash basket and/or bad bearings. There is a document posted on this web site in the Forums section that details how to replace just the bearings with out replacing the whole rear tub shell.

Also the internal wash drum is usually covered by a 25 year warranty, so if it turns out that the basket support is bad, you can get that part for 'free'.

Take about a 1/2hr or 45mins and read all the postings in this area of the site with regard to the Kenmore and Frigidare front loaders. You will see it all. Dozens of people have had this same problem.

My bet is the support arm (aka spider arm on the internal drum) Your bearings may be fine if you have not let this problem go on for too long....however since you will have the whole machine apart, you may as well do the bearings and seals for another $40.

Let us know how you make out.

-John

Post imported post

Any news on your decision ?

Post imported post

We haven't had a chance to review any further on the additional forums, probably this weekend. Thanks for the information. I bet your right. It is frustrating that the washing machine is only 5 years old and we are needing to make repairs already. I will keep you posted.

Thank you!

Post imported post

john, thanks for your document re: the 417 front loader. i just downloaded from this site and hope to look at my thumping, not washiing properly washer soon (you responded to me in another thread) for bad bearings or bad support arms

i'm wondering though if these problems are due to washer's design or bad parts--and if i, and many of us,repair it now will we have to repair it every 4 years, and whatnew and excitingthings might break next year? one hates to throw away such an expensive appliance, but throwing good money after bad doesn't make much sense either (i'm faced with the same situation on a broken digital camcorder--high repair costs almost forcing one to buy new unit--give me the old technology back)

anyway, thanks a lot--i very much appreciate you and the others sharing your time and knowledge; this is a great site and service

brian

Post imported post

It may go again5 years from now, may not. At that point in time you can buy a new one since youhad the unit for 10 years or so. Most folks seem to be having 3-5 years trouble free and then about 10-15% have a bearing problem, support brace, or motor controller thereafter. Mine is 4 years old and not a service call. I have3 other friends that have not had a single problem with the same machine. People only chime in to this web site if they have a problem, so this is a skewed people-group.

Take a crack at fixing it, you will be proud when you do, and save your family a bunch o'money.

Post imported post

Average life of the FRG/KEN front load washers varies wildly by the difference in quality of water where you live and how it is used(abused or extreme environment).

Assuming that you have *average* water(PH,hardness,etc) these washers will have an *average* service life of 8-10 years for a family of four doing eight loads of laundry per week(416 loads/year).

Owners who do more than eight loads--say--twelve loads of laundry per week,will have a higher likelihood of a rear bearing failure in as little as 3-4 years.

Those of you that have high PH water or unknown quality well water will likelysee major corrosion of the bearing and shaft over a shorttime period.

A typical top loading washer(non-energy star model)will use some 29000 gallons of water per year for a family of four.

A front load--on average--maybe 17000 gals.

Front loaders use less detergent,less electricity,clean better BUT by design it is less durable than sometop loaders simply by having to tumble every load of wash sideways. This holds true for most brands--LG,Frigidaire,Bosch,Duet,Elite,etc.

Frigidaire is problably the least expensive of the national brands we are seeing on the market. About $600-$799. Kenmore can go up to $999. As a result,many bought this model when it was introduced around 1996 and in ever increasing numbers through the succeeding years. Those of us who purchased a f/l washerback in thatperiod are going to suddenly crop up needing bearing service almost all at once for awhile.

Hope this helps clear some of the confusion over front loaders and the bearing issues.

John

Service Tech Since 1982(not quite old but gettin' there)

Post imported post

Thanks John for the information.....very informative.

We ended up replacing the rear bearing shaft as I could not go any longer without a washer. The bearings were corred and some defective and yes, we do have well water which probably had an effective on the machine and all the laundry I do.

I love the front loader BUT I expect it to last longer than 5 years for repairs. Maybe something to consider on our next one based on the information you supplied. You know your stuff!

Thanks again,

Sandy

I am trying to figure out if I am having a bearing issue or ? I just replaced a broken shock absorber, air stabilizer. ( part number 131268200) on my 417 front load washer. It will not spin fully and it is making a rubbing sound, rubber on on rubber sound. It will wash fine, but once it goes to final spin it gets the screaching rub sound. Any Ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast