Thread: Kenmore 75553: disable door alarm?

Question Kenmore 75553: disable door alarm?

So we just got our Kenmore Elite Trio 75553 delivered today! WHOO-HOO! It is awesome! No more bending over to get everything out of the fridge! No more loosing things in the fridge cuz I don't want to squat down to investigate that mystery brown stuff on the bottom shelf! Although, my wife and I can't get our heads around why the Adjusta Cube ice maker is such a fancy feature. Does size really matter... when it come to ICE CUBES?!?!

However, that damned door alarm going off after 60 seconds because we've been loading/ unloading the fridge is really getting on my nerves!!! I've searched the kenmore manual, the LG manuals (the fridge manf.) the internet... and can't find anything about stoping the alarm from going off!

Does anyone know how to 1) disable the alarm or 2) extend it from 60 seconds? UGH!

Many thanks for any wisdoms!

Ian

Hi,

Congratulations on your new refrigerator, its a good one.

No, size does not matter with the ice cubes, its more of a sales feature, but some people like either smaller or larger cubes!

I have also been out on these refrigerators and been through the owner's guide and found no way to turn off that door alarm or extend it. Thats the only thing the engineers should of thought about being designing it.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

I realize this thread is over a year old, but my parents bought a new Kenmore fridge (similar to the original poster's) with door alarm and they are seriously annoyed with the beeping it makes. I was hoping to find a solution so I called up Sears (that's who they bought it from) and asked. Apparently they've been getting calls to the same effect and there is no way to turn it off or change the time. "That's a factory setting and there is nothing we can do" is what I was told.

However, I decided to play with the fridge a bit to see if I could find a solution. I came up with two:

1) Duct tape the little switch that turns the fridge light on and off. The door alarm stays off but so does the light. And it probably leaves a sticky residue behind.
    2) If I had a hammer, I'd hammer in the morning, I'd hammer in the evening, I'd hammer all day long! I'd hammer out justice, I'd hammer out a warning, I'd hammer a hole in the fridge to turn off the alarm!*

If there were a way to get at the guts of the fridge and eliminate the alarm without voiding the warranty, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

* Uh, don't actually take a hammer to your fridge. This notice is necessary because there are people out there who would not realize its a joke and actually do just that. Scary.

I really should outsource myself out to companies as the "I'm gonna kick your butts until your product line doesn't suck any more" consultant. Then forum posts like this one wouldn't occur.

Found this forum post using the Google search "disable kenmore door alarm".

Yes, and hopefully the next generation of these models will have a alarm setting to adjust or turn off completely.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

People who do not know solutions (take a hammer to the fridge, etc.) should not post anything.

The real solution that I found is as follows:

1) open the "Technicians only" panel located on top of your Kenmore refridgerator using a phillips screw driver.
    2) on the electric board, use a trial and error to find the alarm sounding device (I kept the frdge door open and let the alarm go off to find it. I had to cove the alarm hole with my finger to discover that it was the alarm)
    3) On the back part of the alarm there is a metal wire that is glued or soldered on. All you have to do is use some pliers or tweezers and pull off the metal wire from the back of the alarm.

This will disable all sound that the alarm makes, including the sound the frdige makes when yyou awitch from water to ice to crushed ice.

My fridge works just fine, and it has been a few days since I disabled the alarm, so I decided to post this response.