Social Buttons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/C in house not blowing cold air..

Default A/C in house not blowing cold air..

Model Number: 38BRC060-361
    Brand: other

Hi,
    I have a 6yr old Carrier that is not blowing cold air. The air mildly cool, but that is not enough to cool my house, so my house feels warm. I live in Texas. I went outside to check on the unit and the fan is blowing normally. The only thing i have tried is to reset my breaker. That did not work. Not sure what is going on? I'm all sticky and sweating now as i type this. Do you think i have some leak of freon or compressor bad? Thanks for suggestions.
    Last edited by derekgraddy; May 9th, 2011 at 08:42 PM.

Possibilities are
    1. Bad Control Transformer
    2. Bad Contactor
    3. Bad Running Capacitor
    4. Broken Wire on Compressor
    5. Refrigerant Leak
    6. Bad Compressor

The above items 1`-5 Can be tested using a good VOM

1. Set the meter to Volts and Check to see if you are getting 24V on the load side of transformer.

2. See if compressor contactor pulls in (no 24V.)

3. Visual inspection of Run Capicitor (looks like a metal can) to see if it is bulging or leaking. No visible sign then check with meter.

4.Flashlight and look over wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Icehouse View Post
    The above items 1`-5 Can be tested using a good VOM

1. Set the meter to Volts and Check to see if you are getting 24V on the load side of transformer.

2. See if compressor contactor pulls in (no 24V.)

3. Visual inspection of Run Capicitor (looks like a metal can) to see if it is bulging or leaking. No visible sign then check with meter.

4.Flashlight and look over wiring.
    I didn't notice anything that was out of ordinary, but then again, i'm clueless. I don't have a VOM. Btw, i also hear a buzz/humming sound when the AC is on and fan spinning. I would stand next to the unit and could hear buzz/humming sound every couple of minutes. I also called a friend and he told me that there should be reset switch on the unit, but i didn't see one to push.Here are some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4402.jpg 
Views:	1661 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	2236   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4403.jpg 
Views:	1401 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	2237   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4404.jpg 
Views:	1400 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	2238  
    Last edited by derekgraddy; May 10th, 2011 at 06:25 PM.

Buzzing can either low voltage on coil of contactor is not letting it close all the way.
    Or compressor is stuck and going off on overload.

Talking

Sounds like you might have a bad run capacitor, it's not uncommon for these to go out, it helps the compressor to start running and aid while it's running. Again, you need a DVOM to tell for sure, simple contactor test if you have 240+ going in but not 240+ comming out contactor. If the capacitor shows to be good, you would need an amp meter to check LRA (lock rottor amps). If it pulling over what it rated, and not starting , you have to check CSR (common/start/run) resistance. Lots & Lots of things, but check the capacitor first.

Smile This may help

What to Check for If Your Air Conditioning System is not Working:

1. Check the circuit breaker to make sure the breaker has not tripped. The breaker would probably be a double pole 30, 40 or 50 amp breaker. Even though the breaker looks like it is on I would still flip it all the way to off and back on again just to make sure. Sometimes one leg of a double pole breaker will hold in the other leg and make the breaker appear to look like it is, "ON" when it has actually been tripped.

2. Make sure your thermostat is turned down to a temperature that will allow the air conditioning system to come on. Sorry! I hope I did not insult your intelligence. Sometimes the contacts in the thermostat do not make the connection.

3. If your outdoor unit is running listen to determine if the fan is the only thing running or is the compressor running too?

4. Turn off your electrical power to the outdoor unit by pulling the disconnect switch or turn off the indoor circuit breaker. Take the screws off your air conditioner control access panel. Check with a multi-meter to make sure the power is actually off. Touch the top of the compressor. Is the compressor very hot? If the compressor is hot then the compressor could be out on thermal over-load. You need to wait and let the compressor cool down before you test your system again. Sometimes it can take 2 or 3 hours for a compressor to cool down. After it has cooled down reapply power. Did the compressor start?

5. Inspect your wiring to make sure that you do not have any burnt connections. Repair the burnt connections if you have some.

6. Inspect the capacitor to see if they are swollen looking.

7. Take the compressor terminal cover off and inspect the terminals on the compressor. Sometimes the compressor terminal cover can be a bear to take off. I use a screw driver to release the metal clip that holds the cover on. Sometimes the cover slides off. Sometimes the terminals unplug from the compressor if so you will have to replace the compressor.

8. Inspect your contactor. Is your contactors points look burnt? You might need to purchase a contactor.

9. When you plug in the disconnect and apply power to your outdoor unit does the fan start and the compressor try to start, but make a "UGGGG" sound. This means the compressor is locked up. The compressor is an electric motor, enclosed in a case, with a piston similar to what you would find in a car. When you hear that "UGGG" sound it is telling you that the piston is locked up. We need to try to unlock the piston. If we can not unlock the piston then you need a new compressor. You might want to purchase a Super-Boost hard start capacitor. I have used this device to save many a compressor. If you purchase and hook-up the hard start capacitor and the compressor still will not start then I am afraid you will need a new compressor.

This is a contactor.

This shows a capacitor.

This is a "Super Boost" capacitor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast