Social Buttons

Thread: Maytag making loud buzzing noise

Default Maytag making loud buzzing noise

Model Number: LSD2615HEW
    Brand: Maytag

I have a Maytag LSD2615HEW refrigerator which up until recently has worked without problems.

Recently, the refrigerator has started making a humming/buzzing noise which persists for approximately 8 to 10 seconds before a relay switch clicks which causes the buzz to stop.

Over the past couple of days, the time between incidents has increased and the noise level of the buzz has increased as well. Presently, this cycle is repeating itself every minutes or so.

If I get down on the floor, I can hear the fan running, so I know that is not the fan causing this noise. The refrigerator / freezer have both remained cold throughout this ordeal, and other than this very annoying noise, it seems to still be working.

I've also noticed that when this buzzing starts, the lights inside the refrigerator dim significantly, and don't resume their normal brightness until the relay clicks off.

I can't isolate the noise exactly, but I can tell its definitely coming from the bottom of the refrigerator. If I didn't know better, I'd guess it was the compressor failing to start, but if that were the case, the refrig wouldn't stay cold??

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kent

Hi Kent,

It sounds like your water inlet valve solenoid, do you have a water line going to your refrigerator? If not, then the ice maker is telling the water inlet valve to open for 8-10 seconds to fill with water, but with no water your hearing that humming/buzzing sound instead.

To turn the ice maker off just lift up on the metal bar to stay up, which is the off position.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

My husband and I just experienced that same exact issue on our Maytag side by side. In our case, that sound was in fact the relay trying to kick the compressor on. It failed to make contact and stopped for a minute and tried again and again until it succeeded. I could then hear the compressor kick on. This went on for weeks until the relay would not make the contact at all. We replaced the relay and for us, that did it.

Mary, that sounds promising. I think I'll give it a try and see if it gets things going for us. Oddly enough, I've discovered that if I cut power to the fridge for an hour or so, it will function properly for a couple of hours, and then will exhibit the same behavior.

Did you replace the "Start Device - Relay Overload with Capacitor"? Start Device (part #1159182) from RepairClinic.com

Jake, the ice maker functions properly - the noise persists whether it is on or off. How difficult is it to access this Start Device?

I appreciate the advice. With your help last fall, I swapped out a malfunctioning control board on my Kenmore Washer and got it working again.

Kent

Ok, then it sounds like the compressor start relay or compressor itself thats starting to go out.

Just pull your refrigerator out from the wall, then unplug your refrigerator and take off the lower back access panel, and take off the compressor start relay and shake it, if it rattles inside its bad.

If no rattle, then use an ohm meter to check it for continuity, normal would be 0-1 ohm.

Compressor start relay device assembly here for your model:
    Manufacturer part number 67005560 is RepairClinic item number 1159182

But from my experience, 9 times out of 10 its the compressor itself on this model that goes bad itself, check your warranty, some have up to a 10 year warranty on the compressor.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts