Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freezer water overflow

Default Freezer water overflow

Model Number: 106.56562400
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

I have a Kenmore fridge modle 106.56562400. I am having a water overflow issue in the freezer side. The water accumulates in the bottom of the compartment and eventually comes out of the door onto the floor. I have replaced the inlet valve (4389177) and the "mold", or ice maker control board (W10190935) to no avail. I still have the problem.

After reading some threads and looking at it closer, I'm starting to doubt it has anything to do with the icemaker. The overflow is not running into the ice dispenser, or seemingly down the sides or racks in the freezer. I see no icicles or ice trails at all. When I pull out the lower basket, I can see ice frozen under the duct on the back wall. See attached picture.

Could I have a ruptured water line running from the valve to the icemaker? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The problem is your defrost drain hole/line is clogged with ice, and thats why this is happening.

Take all the food out of the freezer, then remove the shelves, then pull of your air duct#5, it just unsnaps to make it easier to get that lower back access panel#17 off, remove the #18 screws:

Then you will see the drain trough at the very bottom underneath your evaporator coils(as shown in your photo's), you'll need to defrost that ice with a hair dryer and hot water.

Once all the ice is out, try to run hot water down the defrost drain hole, also run something down the defrost drain hole, like a little rotor router snake.

I use a evaporator cooler spider snake:
    http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Products/Cooler-Spider-Snake__CLR4690.aspx

They are used basically in Arizona to clean out the water pump tubes that run to the cooler pads.

I don't know if they would sell them in your area, but if you go to your local hardware store, they should have something similar to run down your drain to clean it completely out.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks so much for your quick response, Jake! I really appreciate it.

But after I got to thinking about it some more after posting this morning, I wondered if there was a clogged drain under there. So I pulled the lower panel off the back and found the drain hose. I use large syringes for bleeding brakes on my dirt bikes, so used one with a long piece of vacuum hose to back flush the line. An enema, so to speak. I've done the same thing to the ice maker filler hose a couple of times over the years.

Once I broke threw through the tube, I could see from the front the ice breaking up, so I dug it all out of there. Hole is ice free and open now. So problem solved.

But what causes ice to build up like that? It's very humid around here right now, but no more than it has been in other summers.

Good job, just gunk builds-up in it over the years.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Waking this one up. It's been 1.5 years since I first reported this and this problem kept showing up every now and then. So I'd do the warm water thing and we'd be okay for 3 months. But now it's getting to the point that it never drains. It finally dawned on me that perhaps the freezer is getting too cold. I confirmed that by turning the temp all the way warm (+5f) and putting a thermometer in there. It is holding pretty steady at -25 to -30. So I'm guessing that is the root of my problem here!

Fridge side is fine. Keeps temp well.

Is this a thermostat issue? If so, where can I get the parts and what parts do I need?

Thanks

Yup, thats why too cold.

The temperature issue would either be caused by a bad thermistor or control board, thats the only parts that controls the temperature.

The thermistor is #23 here: http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_pn...4027-00002.png

You have to remove the #17 channel, and #16 cover to access it from the refrigerator section. To test it you ohm it with an multimeter, you put the sensor in cup of ice water for 5 minutes and it should read about 8.7 K ohms.

Here's the thermistor for your model you can order here:
    Part#2188819
    Thermistor

If the thermistor reads about 8.7 ohms(+/- 5%) in a cup of ice water then its good.Then you'd know you need to order a new control board.

Here's the control board for your model you can order here($35 CASHBACK offer):
    Main Control Board 8201660 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks much, Jake! I just looked and I don't see anything like that themistor housing. Is it suppose to be inside the cabinet? I have a good Fluke meter so will measure the resistance as you describe, if I can find it!

I don't know how much clearer I can make it.

The thermistor is #23 here: http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_pn...4027-00002.png

You have to remove the #17 channel, and #16 cover to access it from the refrigerator section.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Duh! I was looking inside the freezer cabinet for it. I see it now, in the fridge side. I'll get it tested.

Thanks much.

There you go.

Yes, keep us posted.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast