Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenmore 70 series (washer) draining problems

Default Kenmore 70 series (washer) draining problems

Model Number: 110.20722990
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

Hello,
    I have a Kenmore 70 series washer Model # 110.20722990. We began noticing that at the end of the cycles the clothes were still very damp and would have to run the spin cycle over again.
    In checking on this I found that @ the first drain of wash water the washer would either drain out the water and not spin or spin and drain the water out but leave a little water in the bottom of the tub (could hear a sloshing noise as the spin concluded). Ususally it spins. If it is draining and I pull the knob out to stop it then push it back in it switches to spin mode.
    I have checked for any blockages and found all hoses and even the pump to be clear. I noticed that the pump does not rotate as freely as I expected but does rotate and there are no broken pieces. I found no socks or other types of blockages in the side wall of the tub.
    Not sure what to do next. The machine washes well and even spins the clothes out fine but usually on the second spin.
    Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Kennyw

Hi,

How fast does the water come out of your drain hose? It should be a very strong flow. It should drain all of the water within 90 secs. if not then you have a clog of some kind.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake, thanks for responding.
    The water does come out within 90 to 120 seconds, however, it pumps it out with no spin at all or usually begins spinning while elimenating water through the drain hose rapidly and seemingly normally. But, when it spins it always leaves some water in the very bottom of the tub. Clothes are still pretty wet and we have to spin it a second time. I checked for plugs but found all the hoses, water pump, and tub lining to be clear. Thanks for any ideas you might have.
    Ken

It's made to drain the water first before spinning.

The water may be coming out to slow, it should take no longer than 90 secs. to drain.

Jeff has a good washing machine web page that may help you as well:
    http://www.applianceaid.com/direct.html

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Hope this makes sense

Hello Jake,
    Sorry I took so long to get back to you. I work 12 hour night shifts and finally have a day/night off.
    OK, Here is the sequence my washer goes in:
    First, I open the lid and keep the safety switch (that disables the washer if the lid is open) held down.
    *Start wash cycle...it washes about 14 minutes
    *Washer stops...rests for 30 seconds +
    *suddenly there is a clunk..like shifting into gear. The tub starts to turn (maybe 1/4 turn then,
    *Stop and rest 20 -30 seconds
    *Kicks back on and begins draining (no spin) until it drains all the water out then it switches to rinse cycle without spinning, fills with water and begins rinse.
    HOWEVER, if I lift the safety lever for the lid while it is pumping the water out the washer imediately stops. Push down the lever again and CLUNK like shifting in gear and it begins spinning like it is supposed to. It is the same with each spin cycle. Also if I turn it off at the timer and then back on it immediately clunks and goes to spinning. Everything else works normally except that I have to manually turn it off and then back on to get it to spin.
    I have checked the ears and the wiring harness that goes into the timer and found no obvious burnt places. I even scraped on them a bit in hopes that it might help if it had a connection problem. No change after this though. HELP Please and Thanks!
    Ken

This is a odd one, it almost sounds like a timer problem, but this part is kinda confusing when you say:
    *Kicks back on and begins draining (no spin) until it drains all the water out then it switches to rinse cycle without spinning, fills with water and begins rinse.
    That stumps me there.

I would hate for you to buy a timer and it not work.

I would advise a appliance repair company come out on this.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default $100+tax & shipping = ouch :-{O

Thanks for getting back to me. Jake, I checked sears appliance parts website and found the timer to be over $100.......I see what you mean about replacing it and that not being the problem. I was wondering if it is possible to take the timer off, and check connections etc. inside the timer. I have always done most all my own repairs....just never messed with a timer before. Are there any diagrams you know of that are free online. Or helpful links. We (my wife and I) sure appreciate your help.
    Thanks again,
    Ken

Here's a couple of links that may help you out:
    http://www.applianceaid.com/inglis-common.html#timer

You can also e-mail the RepairGuru for help.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

I am having the same problem with my Kenmore washer! When it's suppose to spin after the wash cycle, it won't, but if I lift the lid and let it back down ( and I can hear the lid switch click) it will start to spin and finishes the spin cycle just fine. When it goes to the rinse cycle it does the same thing when it's suppose to spin and I lift the lid for just a second and lower it down and it starts to spin and finishes the final spin cycle just fine. It also pumps the water out fine both times.

Quote Originally Posted by rufhaus View Post
    I am having the same problem with my Kenmore washer! When it's suppose to spin after the wash cycle, it won't, but if I lift the lid and let it back down ( and I can hear the lid switch click) it will start to spin and finishes the spin cycle just fine. When it goes to the rinse cycle it does the same thing when it's suppose to spin and I lift the lid for just a second and lower it down and it starts to spin and finishes the final spin cycle just fine. It also pumps the water out fine both times.
    We need your model#.

Click here: Appliance Parts at RepairClinic. 125 Brands. 365 Day Returns.

Then you will see a link that says: Help me find my model number.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast