Social Buttons

Thread: Problems with ice maker in LG fridge

Default Problems with ice maker in LG fridge

Model Number: LRFC25750SW
    Brand: LG

Hi - I just recently started having problems with my ice maker. The ice maker has started to leak water into the ice drawer and I end up with a solid block of ice. It is still making ice cubes, but they are not separating completely (at all really - they used to) when they drop either. There is a chunk of ice that is now at the top of the cubes that is holding the entire tray's worth together when they are released from the maker.

I have disconnected the fridge and defrosted the freezer - there was some slight buildup of ice on the coils, but not enough to cause these issues I think. I have priced a new ice maker, they run about 170 bucks. Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking some simple fix or something else to check before buying new parts that may or may not fix the problem.

Any one else have this issue? Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Last edited by mikem31482; August 4th, 2011 at 09:49 PM.

Don't work much on LG's but it sounds like the water inlet valve is passing water when it shouldn't. So the icemaker overfills/overflows causing the ice clumping.

It sounds like the water valve is leaking rather than a ice maker problem.. You will need to change it. The part number is 5220JB2010A.

Good luck.
    Appliance Repair Tech
    LG Authorized Servicer
    Danville, California

Is there a way to determine if it is indeed the water valve? I pulled out the ice maker last night and have not had any water dripping from the inlet tube into the ice drawer. If the valve was bad wouldn't I start to see some leakage?

Thanks for all your help.

Default Water valve test.

There is a way to test it. Pull the water valve electrical connections off and run a couple of wires using an old plug to the water valve. With the water still turned on, plug the 120v into the outlet and see if water comes out. If not, the valve is bad. If water does come out, then the icemaker is bad.

Good luck.
    Appliance Repair Tech
    LG Authorized Servicer
    Danville, California