Thread: Maytag A106 problems

Default Maytag A106 problems

Model Number: A106
    Brand: Maytag

I recently went shopping for a new washer and did a lot of research about all of the current washers on the market. After reading so many negative reviews about the declining quality of washers, I have decided that I would like to keep my current washer as long as possible. My current washer is a Maytag A106 model and it was made in 1978! It cleans my clothes well and runs relatively quietly. The only problem the washer has is that is sometimes does not drain all of the water out completely. (Clothes are damper than they should be but there is no standing water.) This only happens about 20% of the time and it doesn't matter if it is a full load or a small load. Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening so intermittently? I have also noticed there is an oily substance that appears to be leaking underneath it. Is this a sign of bad things to come? I really do like this washer and would be willing to spend some money on it to keep it running for a while longer. An appliance repair person told me that this was one of the best washers ever made and parts are not that hard to find. Given the two problems that I have listed here, is there any parts that I can get replaced to keep this washer running for another 5 years or so? Or should I just keep using it until it breaks? If this washer is really as good as my repairman says it is, I wouldn't mind spending a little bit of money on it to keep it running. I do not want to spend a fortune on it though since the unit is already 33 years old. Any advice would be appreciated.

Do you notice any washer in the bottom of the tub when it does this? Or is the clothes just very damp like it didn't spin well?

The oily substance is your transmission leaking oil, which is normal for a 33 year old washer, so you'd need to replace the transmission to solve that.

But the transmission assembly is currently $462:
    WHIRLPOOL W10172458 Transmison, AP4318941 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

The clothes are just very damp like it didn't spin well. It only happens every now and then and it doesn't seem to matter if the load was light or full. If my washer is leaking transmission oil, could this be the cause of this problem?

It doesn't make sense to spend $462 to replace the transmission in this old washer. Does it usually take a while for the transmission to completely fail in these old washers? It has been probably been slowly leaking for a few years already and the washer doesn't exhibit any problems other than the occasional problem with draining that I mentioned earlier. If I let this problem go, will the oil eventually leak into the wash tub during operation or cause any other annoying problems?

Well you have a combination of 2 problems going on here, the transmission leaking oil and the tub bearing has worn out causing the slow spin/no spin issue.

You can change the tub bearing and seal kit but Its not worth it since your transmission will continue to leak oil.

So I'd say its basically time to retire this Maytag, I know thats not what you want to hear, but all good things must come to a end.

And the tech. was right that this Maytag model was probably the best all-time built washer ever made.

Now if you want a top-load washer thats very reliable I'd choose 1 of these:
    Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm going to miss this old washer.

I was wondering if you could tell me what will happen if I continue to use this washer until it dies. Could the transmission fluid get into the tub while I'm using it? I'd like to continue using it as long as it still operates properly unless there is a risk of the machine ruining my clothes or causing other messy problems. My washer is working great now and I haven't had the draining problem in over a week.

Its very rare for the washer transmission oil to leak up into the tub, but you can take the agitator off to see every so often.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake, my mother's A106 fails to agitate: with the cover off and it running, the transmission assembly does not move back and forth. She has seen the quality at sears, lowes, and bestbuy and she is very disappointed. She is willing to pay the $46+ to repair her washer, but the transmission in the link you posted above does not look like the one in her washer. WHIRLPOOL W10172458 Transmison, AP4318941 | AppliancePartsPros.com
    As a back-up plan this:
    leads to "Yikes! We're sorry, but that page is no longer available."
    So, I would like to know what you would recommend now to replace the A106 and if there are any other places that sell the transmission assembly or will the transmission that you have the link to work in the A106 and it just looks different because they redesigned it?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Jelrohku; March 8th, 2014 at 09:01 AM.

Hi,

it just looks different because they redesigned it?
    Yes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whirlpool-transmison-w10172458-ap4318941_01_m.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	15866 Transmission Manufacturer Number W10172458

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid