Social Buttons

Thread: Kenmore Side by Side Refrigerator runs Non-Stop but works OK otherwise

Default Kenmore Side by Side Refrigerator runs Non-Stop but works OK otherwise

Model Number: 106.56546400
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

Moved into new house with a Kenmore Side by Side Refrigerator (106.56546400) with ice maker and water dispenser. I believe it is actually manufactured by Whirlpool and the manufacture date of this unit is 5/2005.

The refrigerator seems to be operating fine with the freezer freezing and refrigerator keeping things cold.

The problem is that the refrigerator is constantly running and does not stop. Never. The manual does state that this high efficiency model will run more than most older refrigerators. The manual states it should be running from 40-80% of the time depending on how often the doors are opened, room temperature and other things. The problem is that it does not stop.

There is NO ice build up any where inside the freezer or refrigerator or below on the coils.

The coils were quite dirty (like the really dirty ones you would see on the videos online showing how to clean really dirty coils). Completely covered in dust and pet hair on the front coils and dirty but to a much less degree further back on the coils.

I have cleaned the coils both by vacuuming and blowing off the coils. They look to be in really good shape now and 90% free from dust and dirt. I didn't have a coil cleaning brush but I don't think I will be able to get much better than what has been done so far.

After cleaning the coils, the refrigerator still runs and will not stop.

My wife used the temperature controls inside the fridge and dialed both the fridge and freezer down to the number "1" and the refrigerator did stop running. But when the temperature selection was placed back to anything other than "1", the refrigerator would start running again. The range of numbers on the selections is "1" through "7" with the coldest being "7". Again, once the temperature selections were put back to "4" (where they normally are) the refrigerator started running again.

My wife also notes that there seems to be no blockage of vents inside the refrigerator or freezer of food items.

Also, over the last week, I have been moving the unit in and out of the cabinet space it resides while fixing some plumbing issues above the unit. The unit was rolled back and forth on a tile floor. It had to be moved while plugged in to get to the plug to shut down. Only now that I have looked did I see that there is actually an on/off button by the temperature control panel inside the unit. Could excessive movement of the refrigerator while operating be what has caused the constant running problem?

Also have seen other forum posts relating to the problem possibly being the cold control thermostat but almost all of those posting related to the refrigerator running constantly as well as ice build up.

Also noted on other forums that there may be a low level of coolant in the unit.

The fridge is about six years old and in really great shape otherwise.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

jack

Hi,

What are the temps inside?...both sections.
    Has to stop for the defrost cycle, at least once a day.

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid

Didn't find a freezer thermometer yesterday but did do a bit more poking around and pulled the inside cover off over the coils inside the freezer section.

Earlier, I just peeked into the slotted holes looking for ice and didn't see anything.

Last night, I slightly pressed against the cover and felt what seemed to be hardness and possible ice build up. Pulled the cover and sure enough there was ice on the coils. Not completely iced over top to bottom but lots of ice on the top and right side of the coils. I defrosted the ice into a tupperware pan and it filled up to about half of a 6 inch by 8 inch pan with water. A bit more leaked out into the bottom drain pain but not much.

The constant loud running noise is now gone. You can still here the fans moving the air inside at times but is much more quiet now. Seems to be working fine now after the defrosting of the ice from the freezer coils. Could the heavy build up of dirt and dust at the bottom of the refrigerator which I cleaned be the culprit of this ice build up?

Thanks.

Could the heavy build up of dirt and dust at the bottom of the refrigerator which I cleaned be the culprit of this ice build up?
    Doesn't help!

Frost free problem, door left open accidentally, light staying on, plugged condensor, weak refrigeation system could be possible trouble makers.

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid