Social Buttons

Thread: Kenmore Elite 665.15939 making a loud buzzing noise

Default Kenmore Elite 665.15939 making a loud buzzing noise

Model Number: 665.15939000
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

I have a Kenmore Elite 66515939 dishwasher that is making aloud humming or buzzing sound. I haveread some posts about clearing the disposal part and cleaning them and alsoabout the circulation pump needing to be replaced. About a year ago I had a problem with thedishwasher filling up with water and leaking on the floor (when it was notrunning). I read a post about tighteningup the screws at the bottom etc. and it did alleviate the problem. With my previous problem of water coming backup (which has started to do it intermittently again) and now with the buzzingsound, what could be the issue? Is itsomething that I (moderately handy) could repair/replace myself???>>
    >>
    Thank you>>

So explain more, when you start the dishwasher it fills with water how high? Normal would be 1-3 inches below the heating element.

Then what happens? It starts washing? or humming and not washing? When do you hear that noise in wash? drain?

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    So explain more, when you start the dishwasher it fills with water how high? Normal would be 1-3 inches below the heating element.

Then what happens? It starts washing? or humming and not washing? When do you hear that noise in wash? drain?

Jake
    The dishwasher seems to be running normally. I would assume it is filling to its normalcy. It doesn’t seem to be giving me an issue with cleaning the dishes, however I have noticed that occasionally I will have “crusty’s” still in a few cups on the top rack but just assumed it was something in the cup or the disposal wasn’t run prior to starting the washer. The noise starts when I start the dishwasher and it makes the noise during its whole time of running. Did that help you any? I greatly appreciate your expertise.

Well, different parts on the machine activate at different cycle times, so your saying the noise is present all the time doesn't make much sense. When its washing just the wash motor is running, when its draining just the drain motor is on.

If you hit the cancel button that just activates the drain motor only. Have you tried that to see if the noise is still present?

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Well, different parts on the machine activate at different cycle times, so your saying the noise is present all the time doesn't make much sense. When its washing just the wash motor is running, when its draining just the drain motor is on.

If you hit the cancel button that just activates the drain motor only. Have you tried that to see if the noise is still present?

Jake
    Jake, I did do some further investigation. I never really sat in front of the washer while it was running. So when it is filling with water it makes no noise. When I hit cancel and it drains it makes no noise. It is only during the wash time that it makes noise.

Ok, thats better.

Then that means you'd need new sump/motor assembly.

Sump/motor assembly, with the motor/chopper screen/check valve already installed:
    The manufacturer has replaced part number 8268422 with this item, part number W10239405. Manufacturer part number W10239405 is RepairClinic item number 1515006.
    W10239405

Here's the video to change it:

Keep us posted.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts