Social Buttons

Thread: Frigidaire, freezer thawing, flashing 4 after water leak

Default Frigidaire, freezer thawing, flashing 4 after water leak

Model Number: GLHS69EHPB0
    Brand: Frigidaire

I have never really enjoyed this fridge, it has had a few quality issues, but has lasted close to 5 years.

About a 3 months ago the water filter started leaking, we let it go, kept a tray under it since it was very minimal, until yesterday.

I tore the filter base out and bypassed it, filters were always saying they were bad and we have good water here so I figured to heck with it. When I had the tray down that contains the damper, control board, filter base etc all the water that was in it was running everywhere.

Get it back together and it was fine for about 3 hours, then flashing 4 and beeping with the door shut, every minute, 5 times. Found the procedure for leaving the door open with the fridge off, to reset it. Beeping went away for an hour, then came back, then went away on its own. #4 flashing the whole time.

Today, the freezer is definitely thawing, the motor is running and the fridge is cold.

From my research on here sounds like I shorted the control board with the running water?

When I tried to get the panel down to bypass the filter base it would not release from behind where the water filter sits to the other panel that holds what appears to be an air filter. I got a little firm with it and it broke and didnt come all the way down, but it got jostled and went for a ride. All of the wiring appears fine, there is plenty of slack in everything, and all is plugged in. Just thought I should mention that.

Sounds like the 4 means the damper is not functioning freezer air is headed into the fridge, the control panel can not see the damper? I doubt I hurt the damper when I pulled the panel down, so do I assume control board?

Is this 5 year old fridge worth fixing? No filter anymore, worked just fine, both levers for ice and water have broken off from people pushing to firmly.

But, I really am not in the mood to drop $2k on a new one.

Thanks

Odd, now the freezer side is claiming 0 degrees, it was at 27 degrees this morning. All I have done is unplugged power while I looked at the wiring connections. Does the fridge cool into the freezer and then the damper allows cold air into the fridge side?

Yes, the cold air from the freezer blows into the refrigerator section through the air damper.

The Flashing #4 occurs when power is applied to the fridge and the control board goes through it's cycles and didn't detect a damper connection.

So its your air damper thats bad.

Here is the air damper for your model, you can order here:
    Manufacturer Number 241600905

Watch this video to access it:

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

So this morning the freezer is thawed, ice is melting, meat is softening. The Control board shows -6 degrees for the freezer and the motor was not running until I unplugged and plugged back in, then the motor fired up. I was in the freezer several times last night and it was cold. Everything in the fridge itself is not very cold as well. Does this not sound like a control issue, it is saying its cold when it is not, the motor should be told to turn on and its not.

Looking at this thread:
    http://www.applianceblog.com/mainfor...r-cooling.html

Yes, if thats the case I'd its your control board then thats bad.

Manufacturer part number 241739703 is RepairClinic item number 1379199

Then to install it you remove the #81 screws here: Controls parts for Frigidaire GLHS69EHPB0 - AppliancePartsPros.com

and the console drops down then you can access and replace it. Unplug your refrigerator first.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks for th help Jake, I ordered a new board this morning, it will be here wednesday. The fridge will work fine, always flashes 4, and then without warning we will wake up and it has started melting in the freezer. Unplug it, plug it back in and it will run fine for most of the day. Hopefully the board fixes it.

Fridge died Thursday, found out this morning I made a mistake on my taxes and owe the IRS, and my flat screen TV died tonight, been a crappy week.

I understand completely.

Yes, keep us posted.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Been running fine for about a week now,

Thanks Jake!!!

Excellent, glad to hear that.