Social Buttons
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maytag freezer leaking onto floor, ice on bottom

Default Maytag freezer leaking onto floor, ice on bottom

Model Number: MSD2456GEW
    Brand: Maytag

Hi,

I have a Maytag Plus side-by-side fridge/freezer. I have been finding a puddle of water on the freezer side with a thin layer of ice on the bottom of the freezer.

I saw other threads with the same problem in other models with solutions about a clogged drain. I removed the bottom shelves on the freezer and fridge and could not find this "drain", which I assumed would look like a hole....Should I be looking somewhere else for the "drain"? I hope this is the same problem for me

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jake; March 26th, 2014 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Corrected model number

very sorry about the double post, i had a computer problem when i posted the first time and didn't see it in the forum

Quote Originally Posted by agd2002
    Hi,

I have a Maytag Plus side-by-side fridge/freezer. I have been finding a puddle of water on the freezer side with a thin layer of ice on the bottom of the freezer.

I saw other threads with the same problem in other models with solutions about a clogged drain. I removed the bottom shelves on the freezer and fridge and could not find this "drain", which I assumed would look like a hole....Should I be looking somewhere else for the "drain"? I hope this is the same problem for me

Thanks!

You will have to remove the rear evaporator shroud. The drain system is accessed from the interior freezer compartment; you will see several Phillips screws holding the rear panel to the freezer rear wall. Remove the rear panel and clear the drain system by removing the ice build up and poor boiling water down the drain to melt and residual ice and to assist in removing any debris that may be blocked in the drain system. Once the drain is clear you will notice water flowing down the drain as you poor it in. Please keep in mind that the defrost drain pan located under your Refrigerator may overflow if there is an excess amount of water.
    >>
    If you can provide me with the Model number of your Refrigerator I can give you a more detailed explanation if necessary.>>
    >>
    I hope this information has been of assistance to you.>>

thanks for the quick reply, i'll try it out tomorrow, and get back with what happens

I have attached a .pdf file of your Freezer compartment. Item number 20 is the Evaporator shrowd I was refering to.
    Attached Files Attached Files

We tried it all out and fixed the clog today; however, in our attempts we also put a hole in the tubing.....here's the story

we removed the shroud from inside the freezer, and poured water/bleach down the drain...we also (unfortunately) stuck a skewer stick in to clear anything since we didn't have a wire cleaner....we didn't know that the drain plug didn't go straight to the pan, and the resistance we felt was a rubber 90-degree short tubing....so we put a hole in that (we found this out by opening the back panel and seeing the rubber tubing there

we have the hole fixed w/ duct tape right now and it's all working well, but we would like to replace that rubber tubing, but we do no know what to call it

i tried to do a search for parts/rubber tubes, but have not come up with anything so far

thanks for all the help though, this was a great solution to our problem

also, i used the appliance parts finder in jake's profile and another one in an ad on this site, but they both say they cannot find my model number

sorry i missed a number on the model number it is MSD2456GEW however, the diagram was still helpful...sorry for messing this up

ok, so i can find the fridge, and the diagram w/ the tube, but they don't label the tube and give it a name
    Last edited by agd2002; February 12th, 2006 at 01:32 PM.

i found it on one site.....linked w/ the drain hose which i don't need

i guess i'll see if i can find it at a parts store first unless you guys know what it is/where to find it

thanks

Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Quote Originally Posted by agd2002
    Hi,

Thanks!
    Did you remove the back panel exposing the freezer coils? It's generally below them. And if you have that much, you may have more trouble than a clogged drain.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast