Thread: Replaced motherboard on LG fridge and now fridge section is not working

Unhappy Replaced motherboard on LG fridge and now fridge section is not working

Model Number: LBC22520TT
    Brand: LG

Hello,
    I have a three-year old LG fridge, model LBC22520TT, with expired warranty. After a power surge, the fridge died. A technician replaced a motherboard spending less than 5 minutes doing so. Now after a week and a half the fridge section stopped working. The freezer works and the lights are on. There is also frost on the back wall of the freezer. After unplugging the fridge and defrosting it for a couple of hours, it started working again but only for half a day. The technician is scheduled to come out again today and he already was warning me that there might be other parts that are broken that would require additional expense. It seems very odd to me that several parts would break at the same time and I tend to think that the problem is due to either defective motherboard or its improper installation. Please help me to avoid been taking advantage of. Thank you!
    Nila

Is this tech. LG Authorized? Not many techs. work on LG, so its best to look on LG's website and have an Authorized LG tech. service your refrigerator.

Yes, possibly a defective motherboard, that part should have a warranty, so they shouldn't recharge you again for that.

You may have a bad defrost controller here:
    Defrost Thermostat 6615JB2005C Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

I'm not LG Authorized, but I'm Whirlpool/Maytag/KitchenAid/Admiral/Magic Chef Authorized.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Sounds about right. The tech may find a bad defrost controller that probably happened to go bad at the time of the power outage. What may have happened is the refrigerator was in defrost mode when the power outage occurred. If that's the case, the power surge may have gone through the board and into the controller thereby blowing that part out as well. Let us know what the tech finds out.
    Appliance Repair Tech
    LG Authorized Servicer
    Danville, California