Thread: Whirlpool side by side fridge water taste bad

Default Whirlpool side by side fridge water taste bad

Model Number: ED5VHEXUB03
    Brand: Whirlpool

Hello, This is my first posting and I need some help. My Whirlpool side by side has had a very bad taste in the water since new. The ice seems to taste just fine. I have replaced 4 filters in the past year and still the water taste like some sort of chemical. I have replaced the supply tube from the water source 3 times and still the same. I have tasted the water at the source and it taste just fine. I have had a technician come out and tell me that he could replace the water storage bin for $300.00 dollars but that if I just keep using the water it will eventually taste ok. This is not happening. Whirlpool will not do anything about this problem and I am very frustrated. Any ideas. I bought this fridge in November of 2010 so the warranty is over. (nice of whirlpool to point this out and not want to help...!!!)
    Last edited by silverstreak; February 16th, 2012 at 05:47 AM.

Hi,

I have had a technician come out and tell me that he could replace the water storage bin for $300.00
    Sounds a little high!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picUnavailable417.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	4158 Reservoir Manufacturer Number 2307107

Whirlpool will not do anything about this problem. I bought this fridge in November of 2010 so the warranty is over. (nice of whirlpool to point this out and not want to help...!!!)
    They have grown too big and are one of the worst companies to deal with any more!...JMO!

but that if I just keep using the water it will eventually taste ok
    That often happens.
    Hopefully the water tank/reservoir will help.

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid

Thanks Jeff1, Is this something I can do myself or do I need to hire a technician?

Thanks Jeff, is this something I can do myself or do I need to hire a technician?

The line you are using to connect the refrigerator to the incoming water outlet may be the culprit. White vinyl, blue vinyl and stainless jacketed inlet hoses will impart a bad taste quite often. Try replacing it with this hose. I've had great results using this approach... http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDeta...8X10006/880514

Quote Originally Posted by silverstreak View Post
    Thanks Jeff, is this something I can do myself or do I need to hire a technician?
    Not overly difficult...we don't know your capabilities but it is not rocket science!

Copper water line to the refrigerator is best...JMO!

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid