Social Buttons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fridge never shuts off

Default fridge never shuts off

Model Number: FRT13CRH0
    Brand: Frigidaire

hello & thank you in advance.

i was away for a few months & left the fridge (frigidaire, about 12 yrs old) running with the temp settings lowered. when i returned, the freezer was fine but there was ice on the bottom of the fridge, right above the crisper drawer. i unplugged it, got rid of the ice... then plugged it in & all was perfect. but after 5 days or so, the fridge began freezing again. i played a guessing game with the temp control... it would be fine for a few days & then the fridge would freeze again. i had bought a thermometer that i used in the freezer (always hovered about 10 degrees) & the fridge was fine - until it froze.

i finally called a repairman. he came, pulled the fridge away from the wall, didn't look at anything but just put freon in & set the fridge temp control to factory setting. 2 things happened. the fridge section stopped freezing foods (wonderful), but the machine (motor/compressor) NEVER stops (not wonderful). before he came the fridge would 'cycle' on & off about every 25 minutes. i live in a small space so can always hear it.

LONG story short, his replacement (as 1st guy was on holiday for 1 month!) replaced the thermometer in the freezer, temp control & defrost timer in the fridge. all to no avail. he then removed all the new parts & replaced my old parts as he said that they were obviously not the problem.

now the fridge section works fine, but it NEVER turns off. i don't think that is right. what will my electric bill be??? i would like to fix the fridge rather than buy a new one for many reasons but 1 reason to keep it is that i cannot find a fridge to fit the current space in my very small apartment kitchen. thanks again for any help / guidance.

Hi,

Take the temps of the freezer and fresh food section and post them.

didn't look at anything but just put freon
    That's against the law where I am!

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid

the freezer is 10 degrees & the fridge stays around 36 degrees. it stays at the low end of the safe zone on the thermometer. over the past few days (this all began on monday) to give myself a break from the constant noise, i would turn the temp knob to 0 to turn it off & then turn it to 1 (3.5 is factory setting for it). it would be quiet for about 20 -25 minutes & then automatically start & cool the fridge to about 36 degrees - but never shut off.
    why doesn't the stuff in the fridge freeze if the motor/compressor is always on??
    thanks

the freezer is 10 degrees
    Too warm, should be 0F....that is likely why the control is not satisfied and keeps the unit running, if the system was acually good things would likely freeze in the bottom. That is also likely why it got better when some refrigerant gas was added = a system problem....leaker, restriction, inefficient compressor or any combination of those = BIG$ repair or new refrigerator time.

Sorry!

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid

whahhhh, bad news for me. but thanks, jeff, for a straight answer.

Your welcome....again...sorry

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid

hello again jeff,
    since i have your ear - so to speak - i have another question for you. as i wrote in my 1st post i space issues for a new fridge, the current depth of the fridge now is 25" & it sticks out from my counters as it is (i have a galley kitchen). the only 2 brands i have found that are only slightly deeper are summit & avanti & it seems that they both have such bad reputations. (as it is i will need to knock out a cabinet because those fridges are so tall!) do you think either of these brands makes a reliable fridge?
    well, one thing i can say is that i have learned a bit more about how fridges work! thank you again, you are the only person that has helped me!!!

Neither are bad products....they should work find for you but the hard part is they offer none or little repair info and have no real parts supply line so most techs will shy away from them.
    Have you checked out some other brands online?
    Danby
    Appliance411 Links : Appliance Brands ( 211 brands )

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid

hello again jeff,

update time... thanks for those links. i DID find a fridge that fit my depth & is in fact 1" less deep than my current fridge. (whooppee!!) it's an LG. it's smaller cu ft but that's ok. it's also too tall for my space so i'll just move the cabinet above it. so many reviews were posted for it, most of which were very good.
    now i'm deciding if i should spring for an additional 4 yrs warranty thru GE services. the fridge was more than i wanted to pay but ... have you an opinion on this??
    one last question for you please: often i go away for months at a time (sometimes up to 1 year). should i unplug the fridge when i do go away? i read if a fridge is unplugged too long that it isn't good for it.

well, i CANNOT THANK YOU enough. you have saved me from more anxiety & the extra outlay for another service 'repair' person who would probably just want to do the same thing as the 1st guy & charge for it!!

you provide a wonderful service.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    zoe

i'm deciding if i should spring for an additional 4 yrs warranty thru GE services. the fridge was more than i wanted to pay but ... have you an opinion on this??
    The way things are made today, the extended warranty is a good idea.

often i go away for months at a time (sometimes up to 1 year). should i unplug the fridge when i do go away? i read if a fridge is unplugged too long that it isn't good for it.
    If leaving for a short time ( days, weeks or a month ) I's turn it down and leave it running....if going away for a longer time I'd unplug the refrigerator and prop the doors open.

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast