Thread: Samsung Refrigerator: Ice maker will not harvest ice!!!

Default Samsung Refrigerator: Ice maker will not harvest ice!!!

Model Number: RS2530BBP
    Brand: Samsung

Alright so here is the problem that iam having i have had with samsung RS2530BBP ive had this fridge since '09 about a month ago i started noticing a decrese in the amount of ice the ice maker provided. At this point it still was working i could hear it fill the tray, and at times hear it dump the ice. well recently this has all stoped it completly will not work on its own. here is what i have done so far.

1. replaced water line to back of fridge to supply in basement thinking that maybe sediment has built up. water pressure in the dispenser has incresed still wont work.
    2. hit test/reset button multiple multiple times. when i do this maunally all seems fine. the tray rotates, bends, ice from previous test dumps. tray rotates back water fills tray. ice freezes and sits in tray until button hit again.

3. througout my reserch in this subject i came across the possibility of the fixer sensor located at the bottom of the maker assembly. it is a thin rectangular rubber piece that is connected to wiring that atgets plugged in to the cieling of the fridge. trying to hedge my bet i replaced the whole ice maker assembly. Tray, motor, sensor everything. since doing this i have tested it once at about 2:30 pm today. as of 9m the tray was still full. This is where iam at. i think tomorrow i will defrost the whole freezer and see if anything changes. Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I have not worked on Samsung appliances, but hopefully another tech. that has can assist you on this.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Took assembly out, took auger motor out took back panel off half way don fridge. Defrosted everything now clean and dry. Hopefully will start to work on its own. Worried that the fridge is unable to control temp freeZing to max no matter what setting is on. Oh well we'll see.

The electronic controls inside the ice maker has failed and it is best to replace the ice maker as a whole assembly. The sensor doesn't come separately.
    Appliance Repair Tech
    LG Authorized Servicer
    Danville, California

thanks for responding this has kind of been a work in progress to figure this out. I did replace the whole assembly. The part that came had the housing that slides on to pegs at the back of the fridge and screws in front. this holds the square box that has the motor and gears. The tray came also as well as what i think you were talking about the sensor which is contained in a plastic bracket that looks insulated. Intiall when i recieved the new assembly i immidiatly hooked it up taking the old out. Same result. When tested fills and dumps but wont do it on its own.

Yesterday I took all of the panels out of the back of the fridge this included the auger motor there was ice that had built up behind the vents as well over the electrical connections. I defrosted all of the ice and replaced rehooking all sensors etc. Once it froze at about 9 pm with out hitting the reset/test the tray did fill. I will check to see progress this morning after work.

Do you see this build up of ice something malfunctioning (sensor circut board) in the fridge that allowed this to happen (freeze/thaw)? Or is this just something that happens over time.
    Thanks again

Tim

The ice maker with its electronics is in a very harsh environment and anything is possible. I can't say you won't have the same problem later on but hopefully everything will work as normally. As for the ice build up in the vents, you have an air leak in the liner behind the evaporator coil. To check, you will need to open the back wall panel and pull the evaporator coil up to look behind the coil. Be very gentle in moving the evaporator coil so as to NOT KINK THE REFRIGERANT LINES!!! Remove the heat shield that's up against the back wall and examine the liner. If you have a crack in the liner, you will need to seal it up with aluminum tape to prevent air from leaking into the freezer. That's a problem with most Samsung side by side refrigerators with icing problems.

Hope this helps.
    Appliance Repair Tech
    LG Authorized Servicer
    Danville, California

Default Same Samsung woes

Tim/Steeltown,

I have been having this EXACT same problem with my Samsung ice maker (RB195BSBB). I've been looking all over online for some sort of answer as to why this is happening and what to do to fix it.

Ice will dump when the reset button is pressed, and it will refill with water just fine but won't dump on its own without the reset button being pressed again. I too have ordered an entire replacement ice maker assembly (same deal where it connects to the pegs in the back and has the two screws up front w/ clear gearbox) and now I'm a bit worried it won't work since you said you replaced yours and it didn't solve the problem. I paid $85 for it so I was really hoping that would take care of it.\

Please let me know what you've found out, if you have found anything. I haven't done anything with the back panel area yet, as I'm not sure yet if the replacement assembly will fix it or not. Best and Thanks.