Social Buttons

Thread: WHirlpool Duet Dryer Noise fix or not??

Default WHirlpool Duet Dryer Noise fix or not??

I just purchased a new Whirlpool washer and dryer... Everything went perfect on day one then.. while showing some friends the new set-up the dryer let me down with a scrapping and chirping noise... also sounded a little like a horse on a hard surface.. So, I called for a service tech to come out .. Still waiting but in the mean time and after reading this Forum and even downloading the parts breakdown manual I want to see for my self what the problem was..

I opened the lower front panel and discovered a thin metal plate stuck to the side of the drum. It was half coming off and hitting (flapping) the dryer wall panel as the drum turned!! I pulled the thin tape like plate off and now no more noise. The plate is about 3 inches wide and 6 inches long and, there are more of these stuck on the drum beginning to come loose also... Question is... What are the for?? and does it hurt to remove them?? Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated..

Very interesting, I don't think i have seen anything like that in the Duets, or it could be something that just started to add, for what reason i don't know.

The best thing to do is let the tech. still come out , and he/she will be happy to check it out for you, there will be no charge.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Hay, thanks for the sooner then expected reply.. I have ran the dryer through the paces and nothing seems to be wrong! Runs quiet now.. BTW the metal plates 3 of them (like metal tape) were positioned about 6 inches back from the front edge of the drum and evenly spaced on the 3rds. I thought perhaps they were there to trip a sensor or timer.. Or even for static elec?! They are made of aluminum. Looks to me that one of them coming loose could have made contact with some electrical parts and then what....

Yea, i do remember seeing those now, but never seen any come loose. I believe its just like a heat protector or sound damper.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Talking

Final follow-up.... I hope, Tech was by today to check out my Duet dryer noise... So I told him and showed him what I had done. He like everone else had no idea what the metal tape was doing on the outside of the dryer drum.. He said he would have also pulled them off to stop the scrapping noise and run the dryer through it course.. and if everything was OK he would sign-off the repair order as "removed obsticals from outside of tumbler drum". My wife actually came up with the best clue as to their original purpose in that they are probably there to protect the drum during manufacture when the drums are ran through their balance and roundness checks prior to assembly... or for the robot claws that holds the drum during assembly... and should probably be removed but as time is at hand during manufacturing they are assumed that leaving them on will (usually) not cause a problem.. So if your customers are having an issue with dryer noise on a Duet dryer... Check for loose metal tape on the outside of the drum...!!

Hope this is the end of this issue for me.. Thanks for your listening and support.. BTW ... This is one great Forum!!

Good Reply Doug, that could be as your wife said.

Glad everything is working great now!

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts