Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maytag refrigerator not cooling model MTB2156BEW

Post imported post

I have a Maytag refrigerator model MTB2156BEW. It does not cool either freezer or food compartment. The fan is working but it blows only warm air. I'm an old tv serviceman so I can make voltage and resistance checks if I knew where to look. Thanks in advance for any help. Al

Post imported post

Hi,

**It does not cool either freezer or food compartment. The fan is working but it blows only warm air.**

Is the compressor running? Is the condnesor fan motor ( beside the compressor ) running? Any frost on the freezer back wall?

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid

Post imported post

Hi Jeff
    No the compressor is not running
    Yes the condenser fan motor is running
    Al

Post imported post

Hi,

Evaporator fan motor running, condensor fan motor running should = cold control and defrost timer are sending power ok....problem in the compressor or the overload/start relay.

Have seen a couple of "open" ( no continuity ) overloads. The relay, overload and compressor can be ohmed for continuity.

Some stuff that may help...

http://www.applianceaid.com/refrigerator.html#clicking

Wire diagram if needed

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid

Post imported post

Hi Jeff
    How do you guys do it,working on these things every day.laying on the floor, working in a cramped area, I'm starting to appreciate appliance repairmen more now.Anyhow I took off a cover that is on the compressor and found what looks like relay switches, after removing the connectors I measured ohms across 3 terminals and found very low ohms,about 4 ohms, seems low for a compressor. By now I figured let somebody that knows what they are doing look at it,so I put everything back together and closed it up. Just to check I plugged it in and turned it on. There was an arcing noise momentarily and the unit started working normally,even made icecubes. After it was cold enough it shut off,then when it came back on again-you guessed it- just warm air again.Does this sound like bad or intermittent relays or bad winding in the compressor? I won't bother you with this problem again- It might be time to call my sears service co. Thanks for your time
    Al

Post imported post

althis wrote:
    After it was cold enough it shut off, then when it came back on again -you guessed it- just warm air again.
    Which "came back on again"? The fans, the compressor??

Does this sound like bad or intermittent relays or bad winding in the compressor?
    If the compressor did not come back on again when the fans, etc. did, it could just be a problem in the compressor's relay or overload protector or in the compressor itself.

If in the compressor, the part itself should be covered by a warranty for 5-years from date of purchase although the labour to replace it ($$$+) would not usually be (see the following link).

LINK > Appliance411 : Limited Warranties

JFYI

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site
    =D~~~~~~

Post imported post

**After it was cold enough it shut off,then when it came back on again-you guessed it- just warm air again**

Possible both

Compressor will likely be amp meter tested to make sure it is not drawing too much current which in turn can/could damage the relay and overload.

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid

Post imported post

Our 18 mo Maytag MTB2156GES just blew on Sunday. A repairperson diagnosed the problem this afternoon as bad relay on compressor. Googled and hit on this thread.

Is this a common problem for this refrigerator? It's going to put us back $175 in labor and parts (not to mention what $$ wasted on spoilt food); should we order a couple of spare so we can repair it ourselves in the future?? Does this put undue strain on compressor?

Repair person did some hand waving about not vaccuming coils and not enough clearance around the unit. However, manual specifically states *not* to clean the coils and the space around unit meets specs in manual. Any suggestions to prevent future failures?

Much obliged for your advice!

Post imported post

mills wrote:
    Our 18 mo Maytag MTB2156GES just blew on Sunday. A repairperson diagnosed the problem this afternoon as bad relay on compressor. Googled and hit on this thread.

Is this a common problem for this refrigerator? It's going to put us back $175 in labor and parts (not to mention what $$ wasted on spoilt food); should we order a couple of spare so we can repair it ourselves in the future?? Does this put undue strain on compressor?

Repair person did some hand waving about not vaccuming coils and not enough clearance around the unit. However, manual specifically states *not* to clean the coils and the space around unit meets specs in manual. Any suggestions to prevent future failures?

Much obliged for your advice!

Hi,

Its kinda rare to see a relay on the compressor to go out on these maytags.

The compressor is not running at all?

All the fans working?

Frost build up on the freezer back panel?

The most i see go wrong with these are the defrost board.

As far as cleaning the condenser, you are right, all maytags have a self-cleaning condenser from 1999-present. I myself own a 1999 freezer on top maytag refrigerator, and i have never cleaned the condenser since it was brand new in 1999.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Post imported post

Thanks for speedy reply!

• Fans are working.
    • Can hear compressor come on, but then clicks off again. Tested it w voltmeter and seems fine.
    • Affirmative frost on panel (according to repairperson). Water dripping all night,running down refrig door gasket and pooling on floor.

Repairperson commented that compressor was 'hot' so I'm worried that there's something wrong wunit or installcausing relay to fail. Any thoughts? Just a bad part?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast