Thread: Kenmore range hood / microwave keypad stopped working.

Default Kenmore range hood / microwave keypad stopped working.

Model Number: 721.80593400
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

This morning, I went to heat up my breakfast, and half of the numbers on the keypad were no longer working. There have been no storms in the area over the past few days, so I don't think it was an electrical surge. It just stopped.

Some of the buttons still work (light, fan, some the numbers, power, etc...), but the start, clear, and many of the lower buttons no longer do anything. I tried leaving it unplugged for several hours while I was at work, but that did nothing.

Wondering if there's another reset "trick" I don't know about. If not, should I replace the entire timer control module, or just get a new microwave, since this one is over 6 years old?

By the way, this is an extremely helpful forum....last year, I was able to save myself an expensive diagostic & repair bill by fixing my refrigerator with the help of the members on this site....

Hi,

Try unplugging and plugging the cord in and out....several times in a row quickly to see if the control will reset.
    Failing that, you are into control/board repairs.

Control assembly Manufacturer Number 4781W1M311A or new microwave.

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid

No dice....I did discover a little more detail though. The buttons that I thought were dead, are actually working...just not correctly. It's strange, it's like the numbers have shifted down a row. If you push 1, 4 comes up, push 4, 7 comes up, push 0, Power level comes up. Strange.....I'm thinking the board got fried somehow.

The cleaning ladies were here yesterday. no telling what they might have done.

I'm thinking the board got fried somehow
    Sounding more like

The cleaning ladies were here yesterday. no telling what they might have done
    A little too much windex
    If possible, remove power...carefully dry out with a hair dryer or leave of several days if the key panal got too wet/damp.

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid