Social Buttons

Thread: Whirlpool electric hot water heater elements

Question Whirlpool electric hot water heater elements

Model Number: E2F40RD045V
    Brand: Whirlpool

Jake,

I purchased a new hot water heater at Lowe's on 6/8, installed it on 6/9, it worked Saturday evening with not very hot water (1 piss warm shower at the 120 degree factory setting). I turned up thermostats on Sunday morning to about 135 degrees, no hot water at all all day. Contacted Whirlpool (under warranty) on Monday, went through the thermostats/volts & element/amps/ohms tests with multimeter with them on the phome and got 241 volts at thermostats, but readings at elements were 6.1 at the upper and 0.57 at the lower. They told me that sounded like bad elements & authorized service for next day (Tuesday). Repair tech came, replaced both upper and lower elements after checking reading, checked reading again after teh replacements, and tech left. I had some piss warm water again, wife took a shower at around 5:30 PM after work, I went in around 7:30 PM to take a shower, and water never heated back up again.

Of course, I called Whirlpool again, and did a isolation test (I think that's what it's called). Shut off cold water to unit, and the unit heated NICE hot water at 140 degrees, but after taking a shower, it again did not reheat the water. Called them AGAIN, and they said to check for leaks. I did that, and found a good sized leak under the house, of course, in the hot water line.

I repaired he leak, and now have a functioning hot water heater that makes nice hot water (fingers crossed).

My question is, on the upper element that was removed, there is a coating that the repair tech said was calcium/lime, but the water heater was only installed for 3 days! There is no water in the world that I can imagine that could form such a calcium or lime deposit this thick or uniform in just 3 days!

I have checked the internet looking for the part number, even what Whirlpool would have originally used when the built the heater, but nothing shows ANY element with a coating material encasing the metal rod, and only the upper element has it, the lower element is clean and looks chrome silver. The element that is in question seems to be copper, but is encased in this material.

Can you shed light any light on this? Since the heater is supposed to be NEW, was in the box when I purchased it, no dings, scratches, or damage to it. I am just searching for an answer if this is something that should have been, or perhaps the heater sold and returned with an element from an old heater that the customer slipped in so he didn't have to buy the whole heater? Ya never know... people do some strange things when it comes to money. IS an element ever coated with some kind of insulating material & what could that material be?

Since it was NEW, I may just seek a little recompense from Lowe's and/or Whirlpool for the hassle and inconvenience of not having hot water for several days because of the element was a used part..... in a SUPPOSEDLY "NEW" appliance, if, in fact, the element is not supposed to be coated with anything. I was under the impression that the elements are a metal; i.e. copper, aluminum, magnesium, or some type of metal, and that this metal is "exposed" so that it heats the water?

If I can figure how to do it, I am enclosing a picture of the two elements that were removed from the heater and replaced.

Thanks much for any assist.

Matt S

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	123_0357.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	5546Click image for larger version. 

Name:	123_0356.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	5545

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.... SUCCESS!!

Did the tech drain the tank before installing the elements?

Did the tech refill the tank before turning the water heater breaker back on first?

Lots of techs forget that the tank must be completely full of water before turning the breaker back on, or it will BURN THE UPPER ELEMENT OUT.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default That's not what I need to know, Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Did the tech drain the tank before installing the elements?

Did the tech refill the tank before turning the water heater breaker back on first?

Lots of techs forget that the tank must be completely full of water before turning the breaker back on, or it will BURN THE UPPER ELEMENT OUT.

Jake
    Not what I need to know, Jake.

The heater is now working okay. Lot's of hot water, and it's reheating like it's supposed to.

I did the install, and followed ALL the steps.

1. Shut off the power.
    2. Drained the old unit
    3. Removed the old unilt
    4. Installed the NEW unit
    5. Piped the new unit
    6. Filled the new unit
    7. Opened hot water faucets and let run for 1/2 hours until flow was steady and full, no air in line
    8. Turned power on to unit

They reason that the unit wasn't reheating once the hot water was used was because there was a leaking hot water pipe under the house. I repaired that today, and the unit is now working as it should. My question is not about it working.. it's about the elements that the tech replaced!

Did you look at the pictures that attached to my post?

I'm trying to find out if that one element, the one that is coated with WHATEVER, is actually SUPPOSED to be like that, or if it's not! Those 2 elements in the pictures, side by side, show both the upper AND lower elements that were rewmoved, by the tech, and replaced.

In that picture, the lower one is silver in color, metal, and clean. That one was removed from the unit by the tech and replaced, still good, but he didn't want to take any chances. He said to just replace it to be sure. It was being billed to Whirlpool, under warranty.

It's the other one that I have questions about!!

In the picture, you can see the UPPER element that was removed and replaced wtih a new one. That one pictured has that coating, looks like asbestos or whatever!!! That's what I'm looking to figure out. What it is, and should it actually BE coated like that? It's a crumbly material, porous, color of sandpaper, but kind of stone like.

The tech said it was from MY water, but the tank was only up 3 days, and there ain't no kinda water, I don't care how much calcium or lime you got in your water, there's no way it would coat an element like THAT in just 3 days!!!

What I'm trying to ascertain is if that element is manufactured with that coating on it.. for some reason.. like insullation........... OR, if the rod was already used and put in the new unit by mistake or on purpose by a customer or even Lowe's?

All the elements that I have seen show "metal", and I have not seen ANY that have a coating of insullation like that! Copper, Aluminum, even Magnesium... they would show "metal", not some coating that looks like a thin covering of stone.

THAT'S what I'm trying to find out. I want whoever is responsible for that rod being in a BRAND NEW water heater to take some responsibility for it being there! Whether it be Whirlpool or Lowe's, one of them should have caught it.. IF, in fact, it's a USED element that was used in a NEW unit.

If a customer purchased this unit and then returned it, that customer could have put an old element from HIS unit, and used the NEW one from the one I purchased. And, Lowe's should have checked the unit out before they resold it as a "NEW" one! AND, if it was put in when they actually built the unit, then Whirlpool has some 'splanin' to do!

So, that's my question. IS that element a new one, coasted with some kind of insullating material, or it isn't.

Thanks, Jake

Matt

These are the 2 elements that the tech removed from the NEW unit. The lower one is the SILVER colored one. It's the other one, the one that is coated, the UPPER element that was removed, at the same time, that I'm asking about.

Thanks again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	123_0356.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	5550Click image for larger version. 

Name:	123_0357.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	5551Click image for larger version. 

Name:	123_0359.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	5552
    Last edited by Matt S; June 13th, 2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: added images

Yes, I saw the pictures, but I have no idea, you may want to ask in plumbing forum, they would know more than me.

1% of my service calls were water heaters.

I never noticed myself when I changed elements any difference from the old to the new element any coating difference on the new elements.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Thanks Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Yes, I saw the pictures, but I have no idea, you may want to ask in plumbing forum, they would know more than me.

1% of my service calls were water heaters.

I never noticed myself when I changed elements any difference from the old to the new element any coating difference on the new elements.

Jake

Thanks Jake.

I appreciate your time in answering, and since only 1% of your service calls are water heaters, I can see why this would stump you

But, even I, at 63, have been around long enough to find this odd! I mean, even a novice, can see that the 2 elements look different. One doesn't have to be a service tech or a plumber to see that something DON'T look right. I REALLY don't think, and I've been trying to find ANY new element that might look like this, and haven't. All of the elements that I have seen are metallic, you can SEE the metal, not covered or coated with a layer of whatever this stuff is, and I can't, for the life of me, figure out WHY a heating element would be coated with an insulating coating??? Wouldn't that kind of defeat or hinder the purpose of the "heating" element? Why would you "insulate" something that you are using to HEAT with? That would be the same thing as putting a blanket over your baseboard heater, right?

Anyway, thanks for your response. Perhaps I'll try in plumbing, as you suggested, but I'm pretty sure they haven't seen anything like it either.

Thanks again.

Matt S

Yes Matt, I see what your saying.

You may also want to go to your local plumbing or appliance parts store in your area where they sell water heater parts and take those elements down there and ask them.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Sorry to see you're having problems! Can you contact me directly so I can help?
    www.whirlpoolwaterheaters.com/help
    Thanks! ~ Chris
    American Water Heater, authorized licensee for Whirlpool Water Heaters