Social Buttons

Thread: Whirlpool Dryer not getting hot

Default Whirlpool Dryer not getting hot

Model Number: WED5550SQ0
    Brand: Whirlpool

Dryer runs but produces no heat.

I pulled the element and performed a continuity test. I'm getting 10ohms of resistance from the element.

Hi,

A copy:

Q - My electric dryer runs but will not heat, what could stop my dryer from heating ?A- Things that could stop a electric dryer from heating:
    - house fuse or breaker ( needs 2! )... - heating element ... - burnt wire ... - thermostats ... thermal fuse ( not all models )... - motor heat switch ... - timer ... - selector switch ... - burnt power cord/plug ...
    A ohm meter test for these parts is here.

Element sounds like it ohmed ok, as long as no breaks in the element it is ok.

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid

ok I think it is this..

High Limit Thermostat

Manufacturer Number 3977767 Item #898078

I get no change on my multimeter set to 200 ohms.

Join the two wires together as a test.

Might want to consider upgrading the whole safety kit...it is only a little more...

Attachment 6588 Heating element thermal cut-off (thermal fuse) 309 degrees and high-limit thermostat 250 degrees, with wiring kit Manufacturer Number 279816

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1 View Post
    Join the two wires together as a test.

Might want to consider upgrading the whole safety kit...it is only a little more...

Attachment 6588 Heating element thermal cut-off (thermal fuse) 309 degrees and high-limit thermostat 250 degrees, with wiring kit Manufacturer Number 279816

jeff.

Ok I connected the red wire that attached to the little blade on the high limit thermostat leaving off the white wire/black line (what is it for?). The heating element came on. So I guess that is it. So you recommend replacing the other two thermostats in addition to the high limit thermostat?

Just as a point of curiosity (the wife asked)... can she run her load of laundry that is currently wet hanging all over our house? :-) I'm guessing no.

So you recommend replacing the other two thermostats in addition to the high limit thermostat?
    It is an updated kit...that is the one we use....your choice.

Just as a point of curiosity (the wife asked)... can she run her load of laundry that is currently wet hanging all over our house? :-) I'm guessing no.
    While it would be good to get some laundry caught up, it is not a good idea to run it with a safety device bypassed.....I would get something needed done but stay in the same room to be safe.

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid