Social Buttons

Thread: Maytag Topload washer not draining though all parts seem to be moving properly

Default Maytag Topload washer not draining though all parts seem to be moving properly

Model Number: LAT7793ABW
    Brand: Maytag

Hi everyone,

Maytag washer isn't draining water out when the pump is spinning. Here's what we determined already:

- Pump belt turns at the correct times
    - installed new pump belt just to make sure that it was right tightness
    - the pump itself spins, doesn't have any visible blockages or broken or worn out parts when we look inside (we haven't opened it, just looking in through the openings)
    - the pipes from the tub all the way to the output hose appear to have no blockages or slowing clogs - we connected the end of the output hose to a faucet and flushed water through it in reverse and the water came through with no slowdown

it just seems like the pump, while turning, isn't getting enough pressure to push the water out anymore. If I lower the end of the output hose to the ground, a little water comes out when the pump turns (it's not just gravity draining because it stops when I shut off the pump and restarts when I start the pump) but it's a slow drain, and not the full tub amount.

For now what I do to wash my clothes is wait for 12 minutes from the start of the cycle, pull the hose off the pump and let the tub drain from gravity onto basement floor, then reattach the hose to the pump so the tub can fill up for the rinse, and then pull it off again to drain in 5 minutes.

does anyone have any ideas of the cause of non-draining, when all the individual parts seem to be doing their function?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Jake; September 5th, 2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Added full model number

Hi,

LAT7793AB
    Missing a digit.

It is a good idea to always check the drain hose hose for kinks, the pump also can get objects caught in it ( socks, lint ball, etc ), lastly check the pump it self. Sometimes the impeller inside the pump can break free from the shaft and the pump will turn but wont pump the water. Remove the hoses and put your finger inside the pump so you can touch the impeller, with your other hand turn the pump assembly pulley, if the pump impellor has broken free you can hold the impeller from turning.

Name:  Drain-Pump-6-2022030-01084903.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  2.9 KB Maytag two belt washing machine drain pump Manufacturer Number 6-2022030

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid

You've just given me the missing information I needed. (By the way the model number is LAT7793ABW)

I hadn't thought of holding the impeller while turning the pulley. That did exactly what you described, and so it has broken free from the shaft. Now I just have to decide between a new $70 pump or getting an entire newer machine for $300. I wish I could just open up the pump to get at the impeller and see if I can put it back in place, but the plastic enclosure casing seems to have no open accessibility.

Thank you Jeff!

but the plastic enclosure casing seems to have no open accessibility.
    Correct.

By the way the model number is LAT7793ABW
    keep that washer going as long as you can.....that is a real Maytag!

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid