Thread: Maytag Centennial Washer noise

Default Maytag Centennial Washer noise

Model Number: MVWC300XW1
    Brand: Maytag

Just thought I'd share. My Maytag Centennial washer was making a loud noise that sounded a lot like gears grinding when the washer was sensing the load, agitating, or spinning. It was not constant, but very loud and expensive sounding. I leaned the washer back and noticed the plastic cage around the pulleys was cut in a perfect circle that matched the large pulley under the drum. Long story short, the nut that holds the drum pulley on had come of and allowed the pulley to drop causing the noise. Put the nut on and tightened it up. Problem solved. Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by Jake; May 19th, 2013 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Added model number

Hi,

We need full the model number. So it can help others.

Click here: Appliance Parts at RepairClinic. 125 Brands. 365 Day Returns.

Then you will see a link that says: Help me find my model number.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks for the info, my Maytag 700xl had the same issue. When I looked under the washing machine, there was a bolt that fell off! Tightened it up and its good as new! Thanks for the help!

Regards,
    Bryan

Cool OMG lifesaver...

Thanks so much...i couldn't stand this noise my maytag centennial was making..so much I would only run it when i left. I did this simple trick and I can't even hear it now...my kids are thankful too

Thank you for your post!!! My Maytag Centennial washer "MVWC300XW1" was doing the same thing. I took off the back panel and found the belt pulley dipped and was rubbing through the guard.
    I tightened the nut about 3/4 of a turn and it straightened back up and the noise was gone
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0957.jpg 
Views:	1616 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	10610

Seems we are having a rash of these nuts coming off or coming loose.

So if that nut keeps coming loose or coming off, I'd suggest going to your local hardware store and buy and apply loctite blue 242 threadlocker and re-tighten that nut to keep it from loosening up again.

Here it is: Threadlockers from Loctite Products | Threadlocking / Mechanical Gasketing | Loctite Adhesives

Here's the Splutch assembly with transmission drive pulley for these models:
    Drive Pulley W10315818 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

This video shows the belt guard, belt, transmission pulley and nut:

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

As this image (from Jdan) shows - My Maytag washer was also making a loud noise that sounded a lot like gears grinding when the washer was sensing the load, agitating, or spinning. I leaned the washer back and noticed the plastic cage around the pulleys was scrapped in a perfect circle that matched the large pulley under the drum. However, the nut on my washer is peened and cannot be tightened or loosened (even with an 18" wrench). Unfortunately, the mechanism seems to wobble (as if the nut needed tightened). I'd like to provide a few choice words to the engineer who thought the belt would stay in place after only 2 years - without a built-in circumference guard on the plastic wheel. The outer plastic cover for the wheel is being chewed-up by the belt, as it tries to come off.

I guess I have to call a repairman. But I am going to be extremely unsatisfied if there is not a fix in place to prevent this from re-occurring. I know this is not a member issue, but I'd appreciate a contact in Maytag that understands this potential manufacturer's defect. They've GOT to be kidding! I'll check back and let members know the cost of the repair.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10610d1369006389-fixed-maytag-centennial-washer-noise-img_0957.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	13819

As everyone else my washer had the same issue....The sound was horrible. The belt had eaten away the plastic case. Tightened the screw and now washing cloths in peace and quite.Thank you for the info