Social Buttons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whirlpool Accusense Light Keeps Blinking - Reset codes, thermal fuse, heat element all tested.

Default Whirlpool Accusense Light Keeps Blinking - Reset codes, thermal fuse, heat element all tested.

Model Number: GU2500XTPS3
    Brand: Whirlpool

I have a Whirlpool Quiet Partner III. It is about 2 years old. About 4 months ago, the Accusense light started flashing and it would not run. I read in a forum to turn the power off at the breaker and leave it off for an hour. I did this and it started working again. It worked fine for several months, until the same issue occurred. After repeated attempts at powering off, sometimes for an entire day at time, sometimes it would work for a few cycles or for a few days. It seems that the power needed to be off to either cool the electrical components or let them dry out. Perhaps a component(s) overheated too many times and exceeded it's tolerance to heat and now is permanently damaged.

Now, no matter how many times I power off the breaker and how long I leave it off, it still just flashes the Accusense light. Here are things I've tried to remedy the situation and tests that I've made:

1. Thermal fuse has been checked for continuity with an ohm meter. There is continuity.
    2. The water heat element from terminal to terminal has continuity.
    3. Attempted to reset using the "Control Lock" function from the control panel.
    4. Tried various reset sequences from the control panel, including all the ones suggested in the forum. The lights on buttons of the control panel are responsive, but the unit still will not run.
    5. I dissembled the bottom sprayer and the components underneath it and cleaned out the debris in the chopper and cleaned the rubber valve. The valve was clean. The chopper area had some food particles in it that may have jammed it (an almond nut and some broken china dish particles where found).
    6. Ohmed the water heat element to ground ( from each terminal to the d/w frame ). No continuity.

At this point, I'm thinking the issue is either the control board, or the button panel. I don't want to blindly order parts without having more certainty about which part(s) are faulty. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks very much!
    Last edited by Jake; September 18th, 2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Corrected model number

Another note, when I press the buttons on the right section of the control panel, the "normal" light usually comes on. When I press "Start", the "Normal" button turns off. I have opened and closed the door making sure the relay clicks. I hear it click, in fact, I made sure it was clicked on by holding the control panel (while it was removed and holding it in my hand and manually pressing the micro switch), yet the dishwasher still won't start it's cycle.

That model number does not pull up as good.

Click here: Appliance Parts at RepairClinic. 125 Brands. 365 Day Returns.

Then you will see a link that says: Help me find my model number.

Its your control panel thats bad.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Sorry, I posted the incorrect model number. The correct model number is GU2500XTPS3.

Thanks,

Here's the control panel keypad assembly for your model you can order here:
    Touchpad and Control Panel 3385744 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Here's the video of how to replace it, your model may not have that black cover over the control board.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake, it's been almost exactly 2 years since I replaced the Touchpad and Control Panel and it seems to have gone bad again. Actually, for the last 4-5 months, I've had to power off the unit at the breaker panel overnight about a half dozen times to get it to work. Usually, when I do this, it works for a few days or weeks, but lately, it's only been working for 1 cycle. Now, I can't get it to work at all. There is power on the display panel as evidenced by some of the lights blinking and sometimes when a button is pressed on the keypad, the corresponding light will turn on. However, I can't get the unit to start. So, I'm thinking it needs a new touchpad and control panel assembly again. Is this 2 year lifespan of the Touchpad and Control Panel about what I can expect? Or, do you think there is an underlying problem that is causing the Touchpad and Control Panel to prematurely fail every couple of years?

Just a thought on the issue of premature failure of the Control Panel on your Dishwasher...
    The Steam Vent used during the Heated Drying Stage passes through the face of the Control Panel. The only safety measure in place to protect the Circuit Board and Switches is a gasket (Whirlpool Part #: 8269258), that may need to be replaced with the Control Panel to insure that it stays dry. In the video provided by Jake, there is a point in which it shows the Control Panel Mother Board being removed and you can clearly see the rust stain on the plastic inside the Door Panel near the Steam Vent (at 1 min of play time). A clue to be sure...
    Last edited by Monkey Wrench; October 6th, 2014 at 12:12 AM.

I watched the video and do see the rust stain on the plastic inside the Door Panel. My gasket is in good shape and there is no evidence of leakage into the control board area. I looked at the control board and there is some minor darkening/discoloration on the epoxy board near the R31, R32 and D16 components. See my attached picture where I've pointed out the discoloration. Do you think I should replace the control board as well?

(click to enlarge)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	control board discoloration.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	266.5 KB 
ID:	19294  

Control Board is most likely the entire issue.
    Whirlpool 8564547 Control Board

I would still replace the seal/gasket as a safety measure. Steam may still be getting into the compartment in some small amount which will not show any signs after it evaporates later.
    Whirlpool 8269258 Seal, Front

Yes, I'd just start by ordering the control board first, then let us know if everything is back to normal.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast