Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whirlpool Duet Washer - Water leak issue

Angry Whirlpool Duet Washer - Water leak issue

I bought our washer in December, and just a few weeks ago we noticed water in the floor. Upon inspection, I found the bellow had a tear in it. After 2 weeks of waiting on the part being backordered at the parts warehouse, and after raising enough **#!!! with Whirlpool, they overnighted the part to be repaired. We also noticed at the time that a couple scrunchies (that's what my wife calls the things she puts her hair up with) had managed to get between the gap and into the space hid under the seal extending from the door toward the drum. Well, after the repair person fixed it, and stating that Whirlpool had a design flaw and these needed to constantly be replaced, we thought things were fixed. Wrong!

We done a few loads since then, and then last night I noticed again that water was in the floor. I started inspecting the bellow again and didn't find any tear or evidence of leaking. I did however find a small sock from our little nephew in the bottom of the bellow again, and noticed it was in front of 3 or 4 small holes.

My question is if those holes were drains, and sock blocked them, could this have lead to an overflow situation? Do these holes do anything anyway? Or.... Do I have to call Whirlpool AGAIN to have them come back out to reinspect the washer to ensure everything was installed and sealed up tightly....

I'm bummed I spent close to $1K on a washer that is having these many issues already and it's only 3 months old!

Please help!!

Those small holes should be just the small drainage holes. It shouldn't still be leaking even with a small sock in the bellow. Its possible the Tech. didn't tightened the bellow enough, it has to be real tight. I would call back to have them come out again to check it.

When I worked for Sears, I really didn't see that many get torn. But anything sharp left in clothes will tear it.

I always recommend when people buy an electronic/computer controlled appliance such as this, that you always buy at least a 5 yr. extended warranty, mainly because of the electronics in it are very expensive to replace if they go bad, and it would cover everything else including the bellow.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Info???

Jake,
    I've done a couple loads since I found the sock and no leaks. We haven't called the repair person back yet, and we're keeping an eye on it. I'm not sure if it was a chance occurrence, or what. Thought it may be worth further investigation....

Anyone else experienced this? Does Whirlpool realize that stuff gets into that area because the bellow doesn't come up close enough to the drum? We make a habit now to check in there after every load!

I bought the extended warranty after finding your site and seeing the advice. I'm typically not a EW person, but at this point I think I will be glad I did!

Note to others: if you wash anything with a zipper, jeans, etc, take the time to zip and button up everything. To Jake's point, if it gets pushed to the outside against the door and especially during a spin cycle, it WILL tear the bellow!!
    Last edited by soundjunkie; April 1st, 2006 at 07:06 AM.

I have never ever seen one of those bellows tear unless aggravated by something left in machine. A bra underwire hitting it at 1100 RPM, nails in pockets, etc. I strongly recommend washing scrunchies, small socks, bras in a mesh linen bag to keep them inside the washer. I find these washers to be among the best ever made and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone. People will spend 1,000 on a washer, but I am always pulling pencils, bobby pins, underwires, nails and screws out of pump trap. That rubber has no chance against sharp objects. This occurs not only in whirlpool, but maytag, frigidaire, and any other unit with a rubber boot. Just take a few seconds to check pockets and bra stitching. I know it's a pain because even as a repairman, I still have a stray screw in my washer after it's done from time to time. LOL

Justin (tech)

Quote Originally Posted by soundjunkie

Anyone else experienced this?
    I have only seen it one time.

Lesson learned on the "sharp" objects. We take the extra time to zip, snap, check pockets, and the likes. My wife has always washed her underwear in a garmet bag, so we're pretty sure those weren't the culprit. We think it was a zipper on the sweat jacket she washed unzipped. Probably won't know for sure!

My real point or question that I'm still trying to figure out now, is if something blocks the drainage holes at the bottom of the bellow, could this cause water to overflow and go into the floor. I attributed it to the bellow being torn the first time, but the second time (after the repair) I couldn't attribute it to. Both times though, I found something in the bottom in front of those holes where they had slid between the bellow and drum. We've done a few loads since, including one tonight, and it hasn't leaked again.

Jake had posted he didn't think that should have done it, but that's the only other thing we can attribute it to currently.

This is a great site! Keep up the good will and work here!

Thanks,

Maybe the other techs or members here that have seen this happen more could shed some light on that good question.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Blocking the drainage holes on the boot should not cause a leak. Those holes just drain excess water back into the outer tub. Even if water would pool in there, the outer tub sits lower than the door opening and the water would still drain out via gravity through the seam between the inner basket and outer tub. I hope this helps you out.

I have seen the boots tear from repeated overloads and unbalanced loads... If the tech pulls on the plastic fill tube too much when installing it into the boot it could slightly pull away from upper despenser and drip occasionaly...

Quote Originally Posted by soundjunkie View Post
    I bought our washer in December, and just a few weeks ago we noticed water in the floor. Upon inspection, I found the bellow had a tear in it. After 2 weeks of waiting on the part being backordered at the parts warehouse, and after raising enough **#!!! with Whirlpool, they overnighted the part to be repaired. We also noticed at the time that a couple scrunchies (that's what my wife calls the things she puts her hair up with) had managed to get between the gap and into the space hid under the seal extending from the door toward the drum. Well, after the repair person fixed it, and stating that Whirlpool had a design flaw and these needed to constantly be replaced, we thought things were fixed. Wrong!

We done a few loads since then, and then last night I noticed again that water was in the floor. I started inspecting the bellow again and didn't find any tear or evidence of leaking. I did however find a small sock from our little nephew in the bottom of the bellow again, and noticed it was in front of 3 or 4 small holes.

My question is if those holes were drains, and sock blocked them, could this have lead to an overflow situation? Do these holes do anything anyway? Or.... Do I have to call Whirlpool AGAIN to have them come back out to reinspect the washer to ensure everything was installed and sealed up tightly....

I'm bummed I spent close to $1K on a washer that is having these many issues already and it's only 3 months old!

Please help!!
    Saw the same issue but there was a sock between the seal and the door. I see that it only happens on Delicate and its because the water level is higher than all the other cycles. I don't think this seal is meant to hold back water from leaking out it's way too pliable. I beleive this system is meant to work with a minimum amount of water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast