Social Buttons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: maytag gas double oven range

Default maytag gas double oven range

Model Number: mgr6875ads
    Brand: Maytag

The upper oven will not come on when turn on temp for baking....broiler in top oven does work and lower oven works for baking....the temp for upper oven will go to 105 then stops and does not get warm at all

Hi,

Open your oven door then turn on your upper oven and look at the very bottom and see if you notice an orange glow, you may need to hold the oven light switch in to see it, if its glowing orange and no flame is coming out, then your upper oven bake glow bar igniter is bad.

Here's the upper oven bake igniter glow bar for your model you can order here if needed:
    Hot Surface Glow Bar Igniter 7432P143-60 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Let us know what you find.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

I checked and the glow bar ignitor does not glow at all when turn on oven....could it be another part that is bad?

Possibly yes, but first, you will need a multimeter to check for 120 volts at the oven igniter glow bar electrical connector when your oven is on.

To access that, the connector is usually either under the oven itself, or in the back of your range, after you pull the range out from the wall and take the back panel off.

If you get 120 volts at that connector with the oven ON, then the oven igniter glow bar is the culprit.

Unplug your range first BEFORE taking the access panel off, then you can plug it back in when checking for 120 volts with the oven ON.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

thanks Jake....so if the glow bar ignitor in the back of the top oven is not glowing when I turn on bake, do you think it is that part that is bad...when I called appliance parts, they told me that in order to check it, I would have to remove the glow bar ignitor and take it into them and have it tested...he also said that the wires do not disconnect but have to cut them at some convenient point and if the part is not bad, will have to splice them back....if this part is not bad, what other part could be causing the glow bar not to light up orange and since it does not glow, is that an indication it is another faulty part?

Some models don't have a quick disconnect for the bake igniter glow bar, but I think yours does, you'd need to just access it and see.

Then you can take it there to have it tested if you don't have a multimeter.

The only other part that would cause this is the clock oven control board not sending 120 volts to the igniter, thats why I wanted you to test it first.

Your clock oven control board is very expensive, here it is: Whirlpool 5701M802-60 Controlsw - AppliancePartsPros.com

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default reply

Hi Jake,

How much would a multimeter cost me and can I check it where the ignitor connects so I don't have to remove it....would it be on the part of the wire connected to the unit I assume and other than the expensive clock part, is there any other part that would cause this....I'm assuming it can still be the ignitor since it does not glow at all when turn on bake?

thanks,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Possibly yes, but first, you will need a multimeter to check for 120 volts at the oven igniter glow bar electrical connector when your oven is on.

To access that, the connector is usually either under the oven itself, or in the back of your range, after you pull the range out from the wall and take the back panel off.

If you get 120 volts at that connector with the oven ON, then the oven igniter glow bar is the culprit.

Unplug your range first BEFORE taking the access panel off, then you can plug it back in when checking for 120 volts with the oven ON.

Jake

Yes John, You can buy a multimeter anywhere, all hardware stores have them. Sears has them, Radio Shack should have them.

Its very simple, unplug your range first, once you locate your bake igniter glow bar follow the wiring to where it goes, should just be a short run, then you should see the plastic connector of the igniter where it snaps into, just unsnap it and put both meter probes in each hole of where it snaps into, then plug your range in and have someone turn the bake cycle ON, your meter should then read 120 volts. If it doesn't that means your igniter is fine, its just not getting the 120 volts to make it glow. So then you'd need to order the clock oven control board I posted the link to above.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

thanks again Jake...one last question....do you mean that when you check meter and it does not read 120, the ignitor is bad? seems that if it read 120 then ignitor would be good....I'm wondering also if fact ignitor is not getting orange means it is not this part but the expensive clock since if ignitor is bad, it would still turn orange?

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Yes John, You can buy a multimeter anywhere, all hardware stores have them. Sears has them, Radio Shack should have them.

Its very simple, unplug your range first, once you locate your bake igniter glow bar follow the wiring to where it goes, should just be a short run, then you should see the plastic connector of the igniter where it snaps into, just unsnap it and put both meter probes in each hole of where it snaps into, then plug your range in and have someone turn the bake cycle ON, your meter should then read 120 volts. If it doesn't that means your igniter is fine, its just not getting the 120 volts to make it glow. So then you'd need to order the clock oven control board I posted the link to above.

Jake

No John, your not testing the igniter itself, just the power going to it where it plugs into.

So if you don't get 120 volts when the oven is ON the bake cycle that indicates the igniter is good, it just can't glow without 120 volts where it plugs into.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast