Social Buttons

Thread: Please help.. Frigidaire FL problem

Post imported post

Hi,

I have a 4 yrs old Frigidaire front loading washer, model #FWT647GHS0. It had seen some heavy use lately. Today, it stopped draining, and won't go into high-speed spin mode (I assume, due to drainage problem). It finishes the cycle (although once the timer seemed to stop, but turning it on and off resumed the cycle), then gives a buzz to signal end of cycle, but never spins or drains.

I removed the lower front panel and disconnected the drain hose leading from the pump. I was immediately soaked with all water freely flowing through the pump; I assume the pump is not clogged.

As far as I can tell, the drain hose is not clogged either; however I was unable to find a wire long enough to run through the entire hose.

However, one thing I noticed, the pump is running very hot. I nearly burned my finger on solenoid (?) (the stack of metal bars, kind of winding they use on small transformers). Does it mean that the solenoid is burned, or that there's a blockage somewhere in or after the pump, or is that normal ? If it's indeed the pump, can I replace the solenoid itself, or should I go for the whole pump ? Is there an online store that would ship the part quickly, or maybe some major chain carries them ?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Eugene

Post imported post

Eugene,

Usually if a foreign object gets into the drain pump--it'll be a small piece of lint or something very small. This would prevent the pump impeller from being able to spin. The best thing to do is to remove the pump from the washer and inspect it a little better.I have seen this very often. If you find debris--remove it and re-install. The pump should still be fine.

Give us an update later--good luck,

John

Post imported post

Wow.. that was fast ! Thanks ! I'll try that.

I have one more question now.. I was trying to inspect the discharge hose with a wire hanger and pulled out a 5" piece of rubber, looks like a tubular valve of some sort. I re-inserted it back into the hose; what is it for (I assume to prevent backups) and how far should I put it ?

Post imported post

You were wrong.. it was a LARGE piece of lint.

(Of course you were right)

I have just re-connected everything & in about 10 min would have a final answer.

Post imported post

<laughing>

Well it was *something* in the pump for sure

You are correct--the black thing you pulled out is an anti-drainback valve. This helps keep water from backflowing *especially* if the drain hose is going to a drain that is elevated higher than the washer itself.

I hope you got it back in correctly--it can restrict the drain if not.

John

Post imported post

How exactly should it be inserted into the hose ?

Post imported post

I am not sure Eugene, I've never hada needto remove one before.

If it is restricting the drain--remove it.

Try your washer a few times.

If clothing is not wet at the end of the spin cycle,you'll be fine.

If not,it's problably easier to buy a relacement drain hose at your local appliance parts supplier. Part number 131461200.

John

Post imported post

Thanks.

I am still running the washer empty to clean up the remainer of the lint - I found a bath rug that was causing the problem. I ran it twice already, each time fishing a ball of lint out of the pump. So far, I don't think the rubber pipe is obstructing the water flow.

Thanks again for help ! Your site is great !