Social Buttons

Thread: Whirlpool freezer cold, but not freezing

Default Whirlpool freezer cold, but not freezing

Model Number: ed25dqxbw00
    Brand: Whirlpool

My Whirlpool freezer is not freezing all the way. Air is coming into the freezer, but it seems like it is only about as cold as the refrigerator. The refrigerator seems to be working fine. My model number is ED25DQXBW00. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, first you'll want to take some food out of the freezer and look/feel your lower half of your back panel inside the freezer for frost build-up on it. If so that means you have a auto defrost part thats out.

If no frost built up, then pull your refrigerator out from the wall then remove the lower access panel and see if your condenser fan motor is running, it sits next to your compressor(big black ball shaped part) if not then that would cause this issue as well.

Also notice if your compressor is running, put your hand on the top of it, it should be warm and vibrating.

Let us know what you find.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Sorry for the long delay on this. When I initially played around with it, the freezer started working again and everything turned cold, so I thought it was fixed. Turned out to be temporary and everything is thawing again. It is cold, but not cold enough. I checked everything you asked:

1. No frost build up in the back of freezer
    2. Compressor is warm. Only vibrates when the fan kicks on.
    3. Fan kicked on when I adjusted the refrigerator temperature. Does not do this when I adjust the freezer temperature.

The only thing I did initially was play with the freezer temperature setting. I am not sure if that was coincidence or not.

I am ready for the next steps. Thanks.

When you notice its not cooling well in the freezer is the motor running? Or dead silent?

Sounds more like the cold control thermostat, since you said you played with the freezer temperature setting.

When you notice it not cooling well open the freezer door and listen if you hear your freezer fan running, if you don't hear it, then its the cold control thermostat.

Unplug your refrigerator first before installing the new one.

Here's the cold control thermostat for your model you can order:
    Manufacturer Number 2198202

Your cold control thermostat is #9 here in this diagram:

Pull the #26 & #27 knobs off first.
    #25 trim just un-snaps
    Don't worry you won't break it. Get a flathead screwdriver and just pry at a corner then it all will un-snap, and the screws are in front and underneath it.

Remove the 2 #3 screws in front and 2 underneath it.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks for the response. It is usually dead silent. Playing with the temperature control (freezer) doesn't seem to do anything. If I adjust the refrigerator temp, the fan immediately kicks in. That blows air into the freezer, but it feels it is the same temperature as the fridge. You still feel that is the thermostat?

Which temperature control has the word "off" on it?

When after you play with the refrigerator temp control, how long do you wait to see if its cooling fine in the freezer? You have to give it a good hour or two of letting it run before you check the freezer temperature.

If after two hours you don't notice it getting back to normal freezer temperature and its still running, then you may want to take the back panel off inside the freezer and look at your evaporator coils and see if the frost pattern on them is normal. Normal would be just a thin layer of frost on ALL the coils.

Pull of your air duct#5, just unsnaps. to make it easier to get that lower back access panel#17 off, remove the #18 screws, here's the parts diagram: Air Flow parts for Whirlpool ED25DQXBW00 - AppliancePartsPros.com

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

That is the problem, it really isn't cooling at all in the freezer. It is blowing air that feels about the same temperature of the refrigerator. It only got cold again once about 2 weeks ago after playing with the freezer control and then went back to thawing a few days later. I have not been able to repeat this. You still think it is the thermostat? No problem ordering it, just want to make sure.

It only got cold again once about 2 weeks ago after playing with the freezer control and then went back to thawing a few days later.
    Thats a sign the cold control thermostat is bad, but if your saying the fans are running and its still not getting cold again now, that may be a different issue now.

Is the refrigerator running now? If so is it getting the freezer temp. back to normal?

Do you notice the refrigerator running constantly? Or dead silent most of the time?

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Everything is dead silent most of the time. Fridge works totally fine. Freezer will not get cold enough, seems about the same temp as the fridge, maybe just a bit colder. Fridge fan and freezer fan kick in immediately when I adjust the fridge control to make it colder.

Yup, then its the cold control thermostat thats bad.

The refrigerator/freezer should be running 80% of the time.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts