Social Buttons

Thread: Fridge side not cold. Replaced bad relay, still not cold. Ideas??

Default Fridge side not cold. Replaced bad relay, still not cold. Ideas??

Model Number: 106.53752202
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

Well, first off I am so grateful for this site, and for all of you experts that provide answers to our issues. But, I am sad that I am back at this side due to another issue with my SxS, and seeking help once again.

Previous issue was a broken ice maker, which was resolved and is not related.

Today's issue is my Kenmore SxS 106.53752202 was not cooling well on the fridge side. Freezer seemed to be working Ok. I read through the posts and determined that I had a bad relay on the compressor. My SxS has the Embraco EGY 90HLP compressor, which I read is famous for having bad relays.

I pulled my relay and found it rattled inside, did not have continuity across the coil, and literally fell apart in my hand (internally) as I was looking at it. Prior to pulling the relay, I did hear it clicking on, then off again in about 10 seconds. This was not constant, but happened pretty frequently.

Prior troubleshooting consisted of: cleaning the coils (have pets so pretty dirty), verifying both fans are working, checking ice build up on coils (seems very normal). The fridge side runs between 51 and 57 degrees, and verified with a second thermometer. Freezer side runs the thermometer to zero (it won't read any colder), so appears to be working normally.

I followed a link form another post and purchased what I think is the correct relay for my fridge: Start Device 8201786 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

The connectors did not match, so I had to swap them out. 90% sure the wires are in the correct location on the new relay, but am not certain if the red overload wire is suppose to be on the normally closed connection or normally open connection. It looks like it is landed on the normally closed connection in the instruction drawing, so that is where I connected it.

So, I still have the exact issue after replacing my relay, even though I know the relay was bad. Where does that leave me? Did I get the wrong relay (used relay part number 2188830 from kit #8201786)? Did I wire it in wrong? Is there another issue?

I have a theory that perhaps the circuit board is bad too. I am wondering if it is not sending out the signal to make the fridge colder, as the fan between the fridge and freezer is barely turning and not moving much cold are to the fridge side. The key bad is lighting up and appears to be functioning...but is it?

Any ideas? I paid $47 for the relay kit I bought, and $58 to FedEx overnight it to me in Alaska!! Needless to say, the wife is not too impressed with my $105 purchase that did not fix the issue.

Suggestion please ?!?!?! I really need to get this resolved ASAP.

Thanks !!!!

Ok, I am still troubleshooting my issue, and here is the latest. I felt almost zero air flow from the diffuser. Upon inspection, the diffuser was totally shut. I opened it with the end of my thermometer, and instantly felt cool air rushing into the fridge side. I left it open to see if it would cool down completely. About 30 minutes later, I found the diffuser had shut itself, and the air temp in the fridge side was getting warmer again.

So, I poked my thermometer into it again, and left it there to hold it open. About 10 minutes later, the temp has dropped down to almost 40 degrees F already.

Sounds like my diffuser is bad.....or is it? Is it the diffuser, or the thermostat, or the circuit board? How can I tell which one is the culprit?

Yes, sounds like you had two problems, one being a bad compressor start relay, and yes you installed the correct one for your model.

From the information about your air diffuser not staying open, sounds like a bad air diffuser, I've changed many air diffusers for this problem.

Here's the air diffuser for your model you can order here:
    Damper 2216112 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

If I was you I'd replace both the air diffuser and thermistor, since the thermistor is in the same location as the air diffuser, and they both work together.

Here's the thermistor for your model you can order here:
    Thermistor 2188819 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake, thanks again for your help!! I had already ordered both the diffuser and the thermistor before I read your reply. I was trying to find the parts locally, which of course you never can. I was rushed for time, as if I couldn't locate the parts locally I wanted to order them through Repair Clinic, yet I needed to place the order early enough that I could still get them here overnight. It was another FedEx overnight charge of $58, but I need them today!!

I will let you know how everything works out after the parts arrive later today. 9 hours and counting before the delivery!!

Thanks!!!!!

AkBillyBow

Ok AkBillyBow, sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Finally my issue is resolved!! It was the diffuser that was causing my issue. I did originally have a bad relay also, and I am not sure how 2 problems existed without me seeing the effects of the first one. But, all is well and my Fridge has cold air again!!

I let it sit overnight before I claimed victory. It has been hovering at 40 degrees for about 15 hours now. I think it is finally resolved!!

Thanks for all of your help!! This board is great!! Thanks to all of you experts out there!!!!!

AkBillyBow

Yup, sounds like your back in business, good job.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts