Social Buttons

Thread: Kenmore dishwasher not sensing correctly -- A solution

Default Kenmore dishwasher not sensing correctly -- A solution

Hi

I own a Kenmore dishwasher model 665.15831792 (installed in 1998) that was not sensing correctly. The problem is the tub fills, the washer starts briefly, and then drains. It's wasting a lot of hot water. You can solve the problem quickly by disconnecting one wire (shut the power off at the fuse box first) that goes to the pressure switch (under the tub), but the washer will only work well with lightly soiled loads.

I saw that other folks had this problem and it was recommended that the pressure switch is faulty and a new one should solve the problem. Well, I replaced the switch (easy to do by the way), but the problem continued.

So, I removed the sprayer arm at the bottom of the tub (comes off easily) and noted that the filter was covered in crud. I suspected that the build-up of gunk was causing the pressure switch to fire off early and cause the early draining of the water. I poured hot water over it to remove the gunk and the dishwasher ran for a few minutes before draining. But on the next run of the washer, the problem came back-- immediate draining of the tub.

I examined the filter and it was filled with crud again. So, I removed the filter using an Allen Key wrench. The bolts holding it down are slightly hidden by a black disk that also has to be removed (visit the Sears Website for a drawing). I gave the filter a good wash in the sink, put everying back together and the washer worked great for several days.

Then, the problem came back. Dirt was clogging the filter again.

I then thought that perhaps one job of the sprayer arm was to rinse the filter and keep it clean. So I removed the sprayer arm and flipped it upside down. Sure enough, there are two holes for water to shoot over the filter, but they were very clogged with gunk. I cleaned out the gunk and the washer is working fine.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it can keep at least one family from paying $100 for a repairman. Removing and cleaning the sprayer arm is easy.
    Last edited by JamesW; April 13th, 2006 at 08:55 AM.

I'd recommend leaving that soil sensing "pressure switch" connected. It's actually an upgrade to a lesser end model. It's job is to monitor the soil level by determining the overall pressure in the pump system while it's running. It is designed to only bring in fresh water when it determines the old water is soiled. Of course the unit will bring in new water at several points in the time cycle, but nonetheless, it's a feature that is worth having working. It will also enhance the washability of your unit. If you're having residue or "gunk" issues, check for an abnormally high hardness level in your water. At points above 12 grains per gallon, good dishwashing is virtually improbable and sometimes impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by jmshaffer
    I'd recommend leaving that soil sensing "pressure switch" connected. It's actually an upgrade to a lesser end model. It's job is to monitor the soil level by determining the overall pressure in the pump system while it's running. It is designed to only bring in fresh water when it determines the old water is soiled. Of course the unit will bring in new water at several points in the time cycle, but nonetheless, it's a feature that is worth having working. It will also enhance the washability of your unit. If you're having residue or "gunk" issues, check for an abnormally high hardness level in your water. At points above 12 grains per gallon, good dishwashing is virtually improbable and sometimes impossible.
    Hi,

Good point. I did reconnect the pressure switch as soon as I determined that it was not the cause of the problem. The gunk clogging the filter and sprayer arm was definitely food particles.

After I cleaned the sprayer arm as noted in my post above, the washer now works like new.

Regards,
    JW
    Last edited by JamesW; April 14th, 2006 at 07:27 AM.