Social Buttons

Thread: Soap - Rinse Aid dispenser

Default Soap - Rinse Aid dispenser

Model Number: MDBH985AWS
    Brand: Maytag

My dishwasher has a soap/rinse aid dispenser (Whirlpool PN 99003317) that operates off of a single wax motor. All other DW's I've looked at had a separate wax motor for the soap door latch and the one for the rinse aid plunger.

It seems this device has a mechanical linkage that causes the rinse plunger to operate every second cycle of the wax motor. Seems to make sense, first wax motor operation pops the soap door open, the second wax motor cycle squirts some rinse fluid into the final rinse cycle.

On most wash cycles there is a soap dispense followed by a rinse aid dispense. What happens when the rinse cycle doesn't come as in a wash cycle that never gets to the rinse cycle (door opened user resets the dishwasher or using the quick wash cycle). Then it seems the rinse aid cycle could get out of sequence with the rinse cycle of the DW.

Any insights on how the DW ensures the first cycle is soap only and the second is rinse aid only?

Ok, Maytag makes two different dispensers depending on the first two numbers of your dishwasher's serial#.

Here's the other dispenser they make for this model: Whirlpool 99003322 Detergent/rinse Aid D - AppliancePartsPros.com

Now for your question, there is a tech. data sheet located either behind the lower front access panel, or in the console, there is a timing chart that shows you when the wax motor energizes to open the main detergent door and when it also energizes the rinse aid dispenser.

What happens when the rinse cycle doesn't come as in a wash cycle that never gets to the rinse cycle (door opened user resets the dishwasher or using the quick wash cycle). Then it seems the rinse aid cycle could get out of sequence with the rinse cycle of the DW.
    I'm confused by what you said there, can you rephrase the question please.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Yes thanks. I did find the tech sheet and it shows the cycles and timing. Quite helpful.

The weird thing to me is the use of a single wax motor (actuator) for the soap and rinse aid dispenser. All other dishwasher I have looked at had separate wax motor for soap and rinse agent.

You see the mechanical linkage in the dispenser that couples to the plunger for the rinse aid has a special linkage on it. This linkage is like a retractable ball point pen. One time it makes full travel the second it makes short travel. It repeats this pattern forever. Long, short, long, short, …

At first this makes sense. Short travel on first wax motor actuation so that soap door opens but no rinse aid dispenses. Second actuation soap door already open so no problem with opening it again but rinse aid side travels goes to full throw and squirts a dab of rinse agent for final rinse cycle. Great idea why bother wasting rinse agent in the wash cycle so just do the second actuation with rinse agent.

This pattern is dependent on where you start though. First actuation is soap door, second rinse agent squirt, soap door, rinse agent squirt, …

What happens if you do a quick wash cycle and then next load do a normal wash cycle? Quick wash doesn’t do a rinse agent squirt so the pattern of the two loads will be soap door, soap door, rinse agent from the timers perspective. The dispenser though will go soap door, rinse squirt, soap door, rinse squirt, … so now the two are out of sync. On the second load the rinse agent squirt from the timer will be result in the soap dispense mode of the dispenser (short travel of rinse agent).

The only way this isn’t the case is if popping the soap door open or closing it somehow resets the mechanism to the soap cycle each time. That didn’t seem to be the case to me but maybe I missed something. There was some sort of metal spring in the linkage. If this is bimetallic such that a heated dry cycle somehow resets the linkage for soap dispense for the next time running. Anyway just wondering how this works. Maybe it is quite ingenious.

Ok, I see what your saying. Well, I'm not an engineer that designed that dispenser assembly, so I really can't answer those questions.

The control board sends 120 volts to the wax motor per the timing chart, thats all I know, if the wax motor is not energizing when power from the control board is sent, then your wax motor is bad.

If no 120 volts from the control board when it should send it, then your control board is bad.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Maytag dishwasher model MDB6701AWS. detergent pack not getting into wash

I think this discussion applies to my issue. I have a Maytag Quiet Series 300. model MDB6701AWS. This issue: run the Normal Wash cycle, when it's done we find that the detergent pack laying on the door, apparently not making it into the wash. So it's being released from the detergent door but not getting into the wash. Why? This has been happening intermittent but 90% of the time not working properly. I'm getting ready to try the Insta Wash cycle.

Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by held927 View Post
    I think this discussion applies to my issue. I have a Maytag Quiet Series 300. model MDB6701AWS. This issue: run the Normal Wash cycle, when it's done we find that the detergent pack laying on the door, apparently not making it into the wash. So it's being released from the detergent door but not getting into the wash. Why? This has been happening intermittent but 90% of the time not working properly. I'm getting ready to try the Insta Wash cycle.

Thanks for any help.
    So the dispenser door opens and releases it, but not dissolving it? Your water pressure that circulates the water through the filter and pump could be the cause, or your water level in the machine isn't filling high enough in the tub. Normal fill level is about 1-3 inches below the element.

If the water level is fine, I'd check your filter first so sediment build-up in it.

Here's the filter for your model:
    Manufacturer's Number: W10192799

W10192799

Here's the thread on it a couple other members had too:
    [FIXED] Maytag MDB7600 leaving deposits on dishes-- advice?

All parts that your order from our links and banners come with a 365 day full refund, less shipping, if it doesn't fix the problem.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

the insta wash cycle worked. but only 20 minutes so doesnt clean too well

Ok, then I'm not sure whats going on, its best to get a local Maytag tech. to come out to see whats going at this point.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts