Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Needed - Maytag french door refrigerator: ice forms on freezer bottom

Default Help Needed - Maytag french door refrigerator: ice forms on freezer bottom

Model Number: MFI2269VEM
    Brand: Maytag

In July of 2010 we purchased a Maytag french-door refrigerator (model #MFI2269VEM). After 11 months, sheets of ice began forming on the bottom of the freezer. Since this obviously shouldn't happen to a nearly brand new unit, we contacted Home Depot where we bought it and they replaced it with an entire new unit since it was still under warranty. We thought the issue was resolved.

Fast forward to two weeks ago (mid-March 2013). All of a sudden, the same thing has started to happen again to our 2nd unit. This time I'm really hoping someone in these forums can provide useful information or insight as to why it's happening and how to possibly resolve it. It seems as if this particular model may have an issue since it's happened to more than one unit now. With this 2nd unit, I've unplugged it twice now over the past two weekends and let it completely thaw out. I've taken a hair dryer and blown hot air through the freezer to make sure it was thawed completely each time. After doing so and plugging the unit back in, the freezer is fine for about a week and then it starts happening again for some reason. I've noticed that each time, the ice starts to form on the right-hand side of the freezer (looking in the freezer) so not sure what that may mean. We (as far as we know) take care of it properly, we vacuum the coils underneath of it regularly and never leave the freezer open for long periods of time. I'm not even sure what I can try to do next, being that it's been thawed out twice and still this happens after about a week. It almost seems as if the moisture in the freezer isn't allowed to escape properly which may be converting into the ice? Not certain...the unit doesn't seem to be making any strange noises either except one. A small sort of high-pitched noise goes on (not often, but I do notice it sometimes). Also it seems that when this noise is occurring, if the refrigerator is moved slightly or slightly pushed, etc. the noise will stop for a few seconds then start again. Maybe a component inside the unit is loose?

If anyone could provide any possible reasons as to what may be causing this and what we can do to attempt and resolve it, it would be extremely appreciated!

Thanks,
    Mike

Ok Mike, something is definitely defective if both of these refrigerators that are new are doing the same thing.

Try and resolve the problem with the store that sold it to you, and since you already did that and the other new one is doing the same, then contact the manufacturer(Maytag) to have a Maytag tech. come out under warranty, and if the tech. can't fix it, You may want to contact your Maryland attorney general's office as well as the Better Business Bureau as both may be willing to intervene on your behalf.

By the way, the Maytag tech. should have a hotline phone number to the factory to see if they have issued a SERVICE BULLETIN on this issue. The tech. should call the factory while he/she is at your house to inform you of the results.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks Jake I'll try contacting Home Depot as a first step. Another thing I've noticed is the ice maker has stopped making ice, no idea if the two issues are related or not.

I forgot to add that it still provides water, just not the ice. It doesn't appear to be something with the water line.

Yup, something is definitely wrong with both those new refrigerators you got.

Yes, keep us posted when you hear what Home Depot or Maytag will do.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Yup, something is definitely wrong with both those new refrigerators you got.

Yes, keep us posted when you hear what Home Depot or Maytag will do.

Jake

The service tech is coming tomorrow AM, will see what happens. Luckily I had gotten an extended warranty on the unit so it should all be covered. The thing I'm concerned with is will he be able to resolve what's happening for the long term or will this just start happening again in the future, if there's a defect in all Maytag fridges having this model#.

The ice maker started working again last evening, not certain what why. I'm thinking an ice cube got lodged where the mold is set and it wasn't filling up with water for some reason (this may have been preventing the solenoid from triggering the water to fill up the mold in the icemaker, from what I've read online?) After clearing the lodged ice cube, the mold filled again and started working normally. I'm not sure if it was initially caused from what's happening with the bottom of the freezer icing up each night but wouldn't doubt it.

The thing I'm concerned with is will he be able to resolve what's happening for the long term or will this just start happening again in the future, if there's a defect in all Maytag fridges having this model#.
    It shouldn't happen again once its fixed, I own a Maytag refrigerator that I bought new at Montgomery Ward 1999 and its still working good today as we speak.

The ice maker started working again last evening, not certain what why. I'm thinking an ice cube got lodged where the mold is set and it wasn't filling up with water for some reason (this may have been preventing the solenoid from triggering the water to fill up the mold in the icemaker, from what I've read online?
    Yup, that will do it. Low water pressure to the refrigerator can cause that and hollow cubes.

Hows your water pressure supply line to the refrigerator?

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Well the tech came and claims to have resolved the problem. This info. is very interesting and may be prove to be invaluable to everyone since I've read about this issue being reported by several others with other Maytag models. Basically, there was a rubber grommet attached to the drain line in the bottom right of the unit. This piece of rubber had a slit for the opening on one end, I assume to help keep air from getting to the drain? Not sure...but that little rubber piece in only a little over a year had accumulated so much moisture that it became very sticky all over it and the narrow opening had closed up. It almost looked like pine tar or a substance like that had formed all over this small rubber piece. He took it off and said that should resolve it from happening again. He said if he left it on, it would just happen again over time. It's amazing one little piece of rubber could cause people so much trouble, and even more amazing that Maytag had put it on there in the first place and hasn't been made aware of what trouble it's causing it's customers? I've attached pictures of it in this reply.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grommet_1.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	9703Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grommet_3.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	9704Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grommet_5.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	309.9 KB 
ID:	9705

So hopefully it's over and done with...the tech said he'd seen this with several Maytag units in recent years so he was pretty confident.

- Mike

Sorry to answer the previous question, I believe the water pressure is ok. It must have been coincidental that it stopped making ice the one time and the ice forming in the freezer took place. The water stream comes out as strong as it ever has since we purchased the unit.

Yes, Now I remember another member having that same rubber grommet on his, and they removed his also. There never used those grommets up until recently, seems they are more trouble than there worth.

Here's the diagram of your freezer that shows the defrost drain funnel, its #27 here: 05-Freezer Liner Parts parts for Maytag MFI2269VEM10 - AppliancePartsPros.com

But the odd thing is it doesn't show that rubber grommet sleeve.

That should fix the problem completely now as well as the ice maker issue.

Thanks for the update.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast