Social Buttons

Thread: Maytag Neptune MAH5500BWW Pump Issue

Talking Maytag Neptune MAH5500BWW Pump Issue

Model Number: MAH5500BWW
    Brand: Maytag

This site was so helpful to me that I registered just so I could post my experience in the hope of helping someone else with similar issues.

Problem: 4 1/2 yr old washer flashed ND code (no drain) and stayed filled with soggy clothes and dirty water. Also, sister does not want her brother to have to come up and drive me nuts!

Resolution: Read some helpful hints here and took the back access panel off the washer. Saw the pump, pretty straight forward on this model, and tried while still attached to snake the drain hose to see if that was the problem. Still did not drain, so I scooped out all the water from the tub and removed the drain hose.

Someone told me (probably my brother) not to remove the rubber boot from the tub to the pump. In hind site, I wish I had because I think I would have had much less control over the draining water. I would have been able to direct it into a bucket or something. Instead, I removed the drain hose and a LOT water still ended up all over my floor.

Dried everything up, disconnected the other other boot and very easily twisted the pump from the washer floor. I did not have to disco any wires. I did this all from the back access panel.

I then poked around in the pump, moved the impellar around, flipped up the drain flap. All looked OK. I plugged the machine back in and ran the washer on spin for a second to see if the pump was working. Looked OK. I shut it off, tried it again and a rusty finishing nail came flying out! Assumng that was the culpret, I reassembled everything, threw half the wet towels in and hit wash.

I am happy to say that the machine is running and draining at this very moment.

So, my advice to anyone with a draining problem would be to tinker about a bit yourself, and even if you do need a pump feel pretty confident (even if you have never looked inside a washer before like me) you can fix this problem for much, much less than a service call.

Hope this helped. Happy tinkering...

Glad you found the problem Bluecuervo.

Thanks for sharing your experience with your Maytag washer with us so others can be helped by it.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Thank you--my problem was a loose impeller

Thanks for the post--it helped give me the guts to just take the back off the machine and figure out why the pump wasn't working.

My gave me the same problem symptoms (nd and undrained water). It would manually drain if I placed the drain hose in a bowl on the floor.

When I got the pump out the impeller was flopping around in the pump loose. That didn't seem right, so I jammed it back on the metal rod. A little quick re-assembly and it's draining like a charm. I'm so glad I got it working again today so I could clean up the mess!

Cool Whoops, spoke too soon

Well, the washer drained about one full cycle. Then it stopped draining again and making the rattling growling sound during the drain cycle again. I'm betting the impeller came loose again.

I guess I'll be ordering a new pump--at least I know how to take in out and install it now!

Here's the drain pump for this model, in case others need to order it as well:
    Whirlpool 22003059 Drain Pump Assembly - AppliancePartsPros.com

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Talking Drat!

I already ordered (and installed) part 25001052 made by MAYTAG based on the search engine in AppliancePartsPros.com Parts for Maytag MAH5500BWW Washer - AppliancePartsPros.com

Is the one I ordered in the accursed 40 watt pump?

My Maytag is the MAH5500BWW

If I have the same problem in the future, will the 80 watt pump work?

Also, I plan to superglue the impeller to the shaft of the old pump and save it as a spare. It still works except for the blasted impeller coming off. Is that an ok idea?

Oh--I was really impressed by the speed at which my order got to my house. I ordered it late Monday night and it was here Wednesday morning. WOW!

Ok, for your model, you ordered the correct one, here it is:
    Whirlpool 22003059 Drain Pump Assembly - AppliancePartsPros.com

I don't know if the super glue for the old one would work for a spare, you can try.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Hello,

I am having the same issue, I just removed the pump and checked the inlet and it spins fine with the resistant push. I reckon that means that part works. However upon removing from the housing i found nothing inside but I heard a rattling as if something was loose inside the black housing area which I cannot get into. I figure it is not supposed to do that...I just want to make sure before i order a new one.

Hi,

I figure it is not supposed to do that
    Correct.

No model# posted...

Name:  Drain-Pump-25001052--00901979.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  3.1 KB Drain pump assembly Manufacturer Number 25001052

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid