Thread: Maytag Washer out of balance - seems like ever since replaced tubbearings/seal

Default Maytag Washer out of balance - seems like ever since replaced tubbearings/seal

Model Number: LAT9357AAE
    Brand: Maytag

Hi. Our Maytag washer is out of balance. The machine is level side to side and front to back. Last year I replaced the tub seals and bearings due to a leak. Don't recall the balance issue prior to doing that repair but my wife does all the laundry, I just fix stuff. I followed the repair instructions properly for the tub seal, etc. and did not over-tighten the big nut. I see a lot of other posts refeering to replacing the pads at the bottom. Is that my best bet or is it possible a spring is weak or something else I should be checking first? Does this model have those pads? Does anyone have a picture they can post showing an actual tub w/ the pads on it? Replacement advice? Bought the machine new in 1999. Never any issues other than the leak mentioned above.
    Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Washer 001.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	10380  

Hi,

Some common things to check...
    LINK> Washing Machine Dancing across Floor | Appliance Aid
    LINK> Maytag Washer Common Problems | Appliance Aid

Washer moved recently, always been in this spot? How is it out of balance?

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid

Jeff, the tub assembly vibrates/moves excessively on the spin cycle. I asked my wife if it over shuts off whern this happens. She said yes. I just ran it on the spin cycle with the front cover off and a moderate load in it. The springs all seems good. I moved it last year when I changed the tub bearings/seals. I cleaned the inside of the cabinet really well at the same time. I do not see any new oil/water/debirs inside the cabinet to indicate any new failure. Had I even known "snubber pads" existed prior, I would have changed them when I did the seal replacement for the leak. As I mentioned earlier, vibration/out of balance did not seem to be an issue (but maybe we just don't remember) prior to seal/bearing repair. Is it possible that worn snubber pad issue is now amplified due to new bearings on tub? Should I just order up the new snubbers and replace them (not sure if they are sold or exist for this model)? Seems like a lot of effort to check them if not going to replace at same time. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks! - TSPORT

I cleaned the inside of the cabinet really well at the same time
    How? Snubber pads are suppose to be lubed so the basket assembly can move back and forth easily on the snubber pads. A little WD40 might help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grease-204999-00941978.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	10381 Grease Manufacturer Number 204999

Should I just order up the new snubbers and replace them (not sure if they are sold or exist for this model)?
    They exist....but I wouldn't do them before exhausting all other things.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snubber-Pad-203956-00625222.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	10382 Damper pad kit for base support with lubricant Manufacturer Number 203956

I just ran it on the spin cycle with the front cover off and a moderate load in it
    Small(er) loads will often go off balance more often than a full or normal load.

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid

I cleaned the inside with Simple Green or something equivalent. I did not go nuts, just sprayed it around and wiped off with a rag. The machine seems unbalanced regardless of load size. Wouldn't WD-40 disolve the adhesive on the snubber pads if they are still intact? Is it realistic to expect the original pads are still serviceable after 13+ years of regular use? I'm game for shooting some silicone lube up under there if it might help.

Wouldn't WD-40 disolve the adhesive on the snubber pads if they are still intact?
    Nope, doesn't do anything to the contact cement adhesive.

Is it realistic to expect the original pads are still serviceable after 13+ years of regular use?
    Yes.

I'm game for shooting some silicone lube up under there if it might help
    We want smooth movement ( that's why they are lubed ) rather than jerky or binding.

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid

Jeff, thanks again for the reply. This afternoon I went ahead and unbolted the springs and jacked up the basket assy. w/ a few 2x4s underneath after raising the top. The snubber pads appear to still be in good shape and were not totally dry. I applied a good coating of thick silicone grease to the three pads. Still seemed to be a fair amount of vibration after running empty on the spin cycle for a minute or so. I will update after the wife runs a good size load of wash in it.
    - TSPORT

I will update after the wife runs a good size load of wash in it.
    Great.

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid

Well, it's been a few weeks and a bunch of loads of laundry since my last post. The machine seems to vibrate less. Still not as smooth as I would like but better than it was. There was a clanking at the top right in the rear that made things seem worse than they were. I could feel something hitting the back of the cabinet on the spin cycle. Popped open the front and pushed the drum over to the left. Some kind of vent hose or something was dislodged from it's clip at the right rear. Reattached and no more clank. Sounds like the drum is rubbing the plastic tub cover ring at the top on the spin cycle in one spot now. Any other suggestions on how to get a little more gap between the top of the tub and the upper ring?
    Thanks all in advance! - TSPORT

Sounds like the drum is rubbing the plastic tub cover ring at the top on the spin cycle in one spot now. Any other suggestions on how to get a little more gap between the top of the tub and the upper ring?
    If the inner basket was installed a little off to one side rather than centered the inner basket may be contacting the cover. Loosen the tub nut ( under the agitator ) and try repositioning the wash basket.

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid