Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GE side by side refrigerator section is not cooling.

Unhappy GE side by side refrigerator section is not cooling.

Model Number: PSCS5RGXAFSS
    Brand: GE

GE side by side refrigerator (PSCS5RGXAFSS) not cooling. The freezer is fine but the fridge is stuck in the high 50F. I checked the coils in the freezer, only bottom coils were frozen ( moderate to heavy snow build up/not ice). Took less than a minute to defrost snow buildup with dryer. Occasionally, I see a water accumulation at the bottom of the fridge/and or inside the fridge under he trays below the coils/fan. On a note, I do not hear the fan running/fridge running (no humming noise.). Will be fixing the fridge myself.

I have a basic idea of things that need to be checked like defrost timer, fan, coil etc..but what should be done next?

Thanks
    Last edited by Jake; August 28th, 2013 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Corrected model number

Hi,

That model# didn't pull up as good, please recheck it. Looks like your missing a couple letters between the "X" and "S"

Click here: Appliance Parts at RepairClinic. 125 Brands. 365 Day Returns.

Then you will see a link that says: Help me find my model number.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Hi Jake,
    Sorry it is PSCS5RGXAFSS I do not know why I did not paste the whole model number. Hope this helps.

Hi Jake,

We checked it with a ohm meter and the readings we got with the black lead on J2 pin 3 and red on 5,6,7,and 8 were 11.6,5.6,0.1,13.6. With the reading of black lead on pin 3 and read on 8 and he reading being 13.6 do I still have to replace he board? Am I correct to assume the reading should be 12- 14? All the other fans tested on the circut were okay with its readings.Now two things I want to clarify:what are the chances that the 2 temperature sensors/thermistor are bad (as we did not test them). If the other readings are okay can the motherboard still be bad? I recall when testing to pin 4 the reading was low (fan was either off or running too slow).

Now in my fridge section I have a fan (climate control) is that fan different? I am changing out the evaporator fan motor, but what relations does this fan have?

I did find the video also.

Thanks again; I just want to know I am on the right track and not changing out the wrong things.

This is the link I used as a guide:

GE Refrigerator Fan Motor Diagnostics

Hold on, which fan is not running? The fan in the freezer? Or the fan in the bottom of your refrigerator section?

Here's the custom cool fan(refrigerator side) for your model:
    GE WR17X12490 Cover Evap Asm Ff - AppliancePartsPros.com

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Based on my the readings as shown above J2 (black lead on 3) and red lead 5,6,7 and the reading were off. This led me to believe it was the evaporator fan. I am still confused on how the freezer is staying at 0F where as the fridge section is in the 50's. I have ordered the mother/circut board and the evaporator fan. Hope that is the glitch.

How would the fan in the fridge (climate control) affect the fridge? I would assume that only that section would not work right? Here the whole fridge is not cooling.

Thanks again.

I haven't worked on many of these models. Ok, here's the owners manual for your model: http://products.geappliances.com/Mar...49-60647-2.pdf

Read page 6(ClimateControl) and 7(CustomCool) and it explains what it cools.

I was not aware that it cooled the entire refrigerator section and the bottom pan as well, I'm used to freezers only having the 1 evaporator fan motor in the freezer which blows cold air through the air damper at the top left inside of the refrigerator section.

Rick is the expert on these models with the dual evaporator, he has been very busy like myself or he would of answered this for you.

I'm attaching the diagram below.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Smile

Yes, this is where I got totally confused as in what fan to change. So based on these readings I should be changing out the fan in the fridge/climate cool section and not the freezer,correct? Thanks, for drawing my attention to those pages.

I will test all the voltage readings again, but this is what I saw in Volts. With the black lead on the J2 pin 6 and the red lead on pin 7,8 the readings were 7=0 and 8=8.2 where I should have got a reading of 12-14V. Plus while checking the fan motor supply between 3-8 I got (j2black on 3 )5-11.6,6-5.6,7- 0.1, 8-13.6. One required 12-14V on each pin.

So, its the fan in the fridge not freezer and I should be changing out the board too.

GE ClimateKeeper Dual Evaporator System Fresh Food Not Cooling

I apologize for the all the confusion, this is my first time trying to fix a fridge. Thanks

Yes, this is where I got totally confused as in what fan to change. So based on these readings I should be changing out the fan in the fridge/climate cool section and not the freezer,correct?
    Yes, is that the fan that has not been running?

The fan in the freezer is running?

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

When I shut the freezer door after a few minutes, I hear a whirring noise. It is cooling to -2F as of now. It never goes below the set temperature 0F, so I am wondering why it is hovering on -2F. Secondly, the fridge temperature is stuck on 55F and it does not seem to get any colder. My only sure bet will be that when the parts come in, I will open both sides up again and see if the fan is running or not. When I put my hand near where the cool air is supposed to blow out, I feel nothing in the fridge section.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast