Thread: Kenmore He3 - no heat

Default Kenmore He3 - no heat

Model Number: 110.92826101
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

We have a Kenmore He3 (model# 110.92826101) gas dryer that no longer heats up. Can you please let me know what the diagnostic procedures are? Thank you in advance for your help.

I took the front cover off and noted that the igniter is works intermittently. Thanks.

Hi,

You will need a multimeter to ohm test and volt test.

Remove the lower panel and start the dryer on high heat, timed dry cycle and watch for the igniter to glow red. If it does, you'll hear the valve click and the igniter will turn off and the gas will ignite.

If this is what you observe, or if there is no flame, replace the gas coil assembly on the valve.

If the igniter doesn't turn on, disconnect the connector for the igniter and check for 115 VAC going to the igniter. If the voltage is correct, replace the igniter. If the voltage is incorrect, the problem is elsewhere.

Here's the igniter for your model you can order here:
    Dryer Igniter 279311 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

You can also ohm test the igniter, Watch this video to ohm test your igniter:

Here's the gas coil assembly for your model you can order here:
    Gas Valve Solenoid 279834 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Watch the video below to replace them, the video shows just a normal Whirlpool/Kenmore Dryer, yours is a HE3 so the bottom lower access panel comes off with 2 1/4" screws at the very bottom near your floor, other than that the video should be the same as far as replacing the gas coil assembly.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thank you for your direction. Since my original post, I took the front cover off and noted that the igniter works intermittently and that the burner will shut off while the drier cycle continues. Thanks again for all your help.

Jake, I have continued to try and identify more information to help with the diagnosis. I have cleaned the entire unit. When I reessembled and started the dryer, it ran for 13 minutes and the burner went out while the dryer continued to run. Thanks again.

Yes, the burner should cycle off once it reaches the proper temperature inside the dryer, now if the burner does not cycle back on, then its the gas coils that are bad.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake, the gas coils were replaced and the gas is staying. Thank you. The clothes are coming out very hot to the touch. Is there a thermostat that should be checked? Thanks again.

Ok, that's good the new gas coils fixed the flame not staying on issue.

You have a thermistor that controls the heating temperature. Its #42 here: http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_pn...2123-00003.png

Thermistor 8577274 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

To get access to it, Unplug or turn the breaker off to your dryer first then remove your lint screen #64, then remove the two #49 screws, then remove the bracket #11 by removing the single #2 screw. Then the lint duct assembly #45 will come off, when you have the lint duct assembly off clean it out real good, I've seen tons of lint build up in those.

Then your thermistor is #42, take the two wires off of it, then ohm it, Normal should be about 10,000(10K) ohms at room temperature.

If that checks fine, then there's likely a exhaust vent clog where the hot air exits your house. You will need to check that.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts