Social Buttons

Thread: Kenmore electric range F1 error code

Default Kenmore electric range F1 error code

Model Number: 790.95662100
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

Saw the F1 error code thread, but it's closed. While cake was in the oven, the F1 code appeared along with beeping. The oven had not shut off and the temperature had increased enough to burn the cake on bottom and top. Panel did not register what the temp was and we immediately turned oven off. Don't know how hot oven would have gotten if we were outside or hadn't noticed. Range manual states to cancel and reprogram oven(whatever that is). We simply turned oven off and let it cool down. The following day we set the oven to 350, let it preheat and then left on for about 45 minutes. Everything was fine. Last night we used the oven and everything was fine. The manual also states if fault recurs, contact service center. The manual doesn't address what to do if the issue doesn't recur and it leaves you thinking it might be OK. So, if fault doesn't recur can we assume things are OK? Since it happened once, I'm reluctant to just assume it's OK. Sometimes we set the oven to come on when we're away so it will be done upon our return. This also seems risky. Considering the age of the oven, is it worth fixing? Thanks

Hi,

So, if fault doesn't recur can we assume things are OK? Since it happened once, I'm reluctant to just assume it's OK.
    You know what they say about assuming? ASS out of U and ME.

First check your oven sensor. The oven sensor is a probe type part that you can see inside your oven, Pull your range out from the wall, then unplug your range, Then remove the back access panel, Then you can get access to it where you see the little plastic connector on it, unsnap the little plastic connector before you ohm test it.

Watch this video on how to ohm test it:

Here's the oven sensor for your model if needed:
    Oven Sensor 316233902 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

If your oven sensor tests good, then Its either your bake element is grounding out, or your control board is bad.

If you turn the breaker to your range back ON now does the element come on by itself without you setting the controls to bake?

If the element doesn't come back ON by itself, Then your control board is bad for sure.

Here's the electronic clock oven control board for your model you can order here:
    Oven Control Board 316207522 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks for your response. I performed the ohm check on the temp sensor. It was 1085 at the second lowest setting of 2000. The video said to set the meter at the lowest, but when I set it at 200 it wouldn't register anything. When I plugged oven back in it did not come on so my understanding is that the element isn't grounding out and the control needs to be replaced. This unit is somewhere in the 10-12 year old range. Not sure if I should spend a couple hundred bucks and fix, or go new. Any experience on longevity of other parts within this unit? Thanks again

Yes, then your clock oven control board is out.

The average life of Range's is only 8-12 years, unfortunately the good ol days of 20-30 years are long gone.

So its basically your choice to either order the new control board or buy a new range.

Your model does have the top burners under your main glasstop, if one of those goes out your looking at $140-$222 just for 1 burner, look here: Kenmore Range/Stove/Oven Model 790.95662100 Heating Element Parts from RepairClinic.com

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts