Thread: Rust colored stains on clothes

Default Rust colored stains on clothes

Frigidaire Gallery front loader washer. We get random rust colored spots and stains on clothes. This affects one or two pieces of clothing in each load. It has been ocurring for about one year. I first thought a crayon was in the washer. We cannot find any foreign object or likely source visible in the tub or rubber seal/boot. Any ideas? Thanks!

It may be an iron mineral build up, this product should clear it out:
    http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/showthread.php?t=1066

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thumbs down FRIGIDAIRE GLTF1240AS0 Rust Stains Clothing Ruined

I have also been noticing these rust coloured stains over the past many months but just assumed my daughtered had left some mascara or other makeup in a pocket and it was somehow slowly disolving each wash. The problem had been every other wash on 1 or 2 articles of clothing in a small spot or two and it has now become more frequent and a bigger mess and it has increased in the past week to the point where tonight it wrecked some expensive clothing that I can't even replace without driving back to the U.S. I considered that rust was building up in the water lines but I put a load on every day and we are in the city and I live in a quad where everyone is using water regularly with no complaints. I have stains on loads of all white, or all coloured or white clothing with coloured print and all have been getting small to now larger staines on them. The only answer is that this washer is rusting!! and it's not even 5 years old yet. I have a 5 year warranty and will be persuing repair or replacement for the washer but I will probably be stuck with the labour costs at best and I'm quite certain they wont replace the hundreds of dollars of clothing that I can't remove the stains from even with using a clothing rust stain removal product. My only advice to everyone is to beware of buying FRIGIDAIRE washers. I will repost and retract this complaint if and when the company (Future Shop) where I bought the washer or Frigidaire themselves compensates me for the damage caused by what is obviously a poorly engineering product made for quick sale with no concern for product longeivity or any type of long lasting customer satisfaction.

Smile Rust stains on your clothes

I bought a Frigidaire F/L 2 years ago after thinking my other washer was depositing rust stains on my clothes. Turns out that it was my water heater going bad. To resolve the issue before I discovered what the problem was, I would wash color clothes first and then the whites. I also had a problem with weak hot water pressure that was caused by a partially blocked screen (filter) in the hose inlet connection to the washer. Replaced the water heater and the rust problem was solved. The water heater was replaced first followed by the washer/dryer combo.

Default Rust colored stains - it was the dryer!

There is a very detailed post in the Frigidaire dryer section concerning this. My rust colored stains were not from the washer as I originally suspected. They were being caused by the dryer. The upper and lower felt was worn and the brown adhesive residue was staining the clothes. See the post in the dryer section for more detail.

Here's the thread Rick is talking about:
    http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/showthread.php?t=10632

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts