Thread: Gold Conquest Ice Maker Novella

Default Gold Conquest Ice Maker Novella

First, I'd like to preface this story with a memory from my childhood:

Me: Dad, Why don't we get a refrigerator with an ice maker?

Dad: Because the damn things always break.

Here's my ice maker situation. I noticed that the ice bucket on the door was only half full. The Whirlpool Gold Conquest side-by-side refrigerator was purchased in April 2005 and had no problems previously. I looked in the ice maker and didn't see any ice or water. I felt in the ice tray and the tray was warm. The ejector tines were in the 6 o'clock position. I filled the tray with water just to see what would happen. That was probably not a good idea because it just turned to ice without doing anything and now the tines were stuck in the ice.

So I searched the Internet and found these forums.

The optics seem good as I get the steady red light with the flapper depressed and the two blinks and a pause when released.

I tried unplugging the refrigerator and then plugging it back in, nothing.

Finally, I removed the ice maker and tried jumping the H-T points. I tried this three times but didn't get a response. Incidentally, it's not easy to hold the flapper in, the light switch and jump those points. So I'm not sure I did it properly but after three time I thought I would have seen some sort of response.

After getting no response with the H-T points I took the whole thing out of the freezer. I emptied the tray of ice and took the cover off the module. I removed the big white gear on this side and noticed that one of the tabs that holds the gear to the tine spindle was broken. I don't think this would have caused any problems as the gear still moved the tine spindle but it's worth noting.

[You can see the broken tab to the right that came off the spindle]

I moved the spindle so the ejector tines were in the 2 o'clock position, marked by a loud click when the tines reached that point. I should note that the ejector tines won't move with the big white gear in place. I was only able to reset them to the 2 o'clock position when I removed the white gear. Here's what felt like to be the start position at 2 o'clock, there's a nice click when it hits this spot. Maybe I'm backwards though:

I then unplugged the refrigerator and reinstalled the ice maker with the ejector tines in the 2 o'clock position. I plugged in the refrigerator and the tray filled with water and turned into ice cubes. The ejector tines moved some and lifted the ice cubes to the top of the tray where I thought they were going to be sent into the ice bucket but it stopped there. I then noticed that the ice maker switch was half-way between on and off so I wasn't sure if that what made the ice harvest fail or not.

Overnight the tines moved again to where they are at the exact 9 o'clock position and it looks like the tines are inside the ends of the ice cubes. Like so:

After removing the ice maker the second time, I noticed the contact points on the big white gear. I didn't make not of them the first time which leads me to believe that I may have not aligned the gear and contact points properly the first time which could have been the cause of the halted ice making. I set it up correctly, I think, this time so maybe it will work now.

After Two Hours:

No water made it into the ice tray, unlike the first time. The ejector tines move into the 6 o'clock position and stayed there. I decided to remove the ice maker again, reset the tines manually and try again.

After the third time removing and reinstalling the ice maker:

Within 2 minutes I heard water filling the ice tray, just like the first time.

After an hour and a half, cubes were formed but the ejector tines only moved into the 4 o'clock position. So I tried jumping the H-T points again and noticed that when those points were jumped, I received a single blink pause pattern on the status indicator even though the flapper and the door light were depressed. I left the jump in place and it melted all the ice but the ejector tines didn't move from the 4 o'clock position. With the H-T jump removed, the single blink pause pattern stopped and returned to the steady red light with the flapper depressed and the two blinks and a pause when released.

So that's where I stand now. Does any of this extensive information identify my faulty component?

Is there anything else I can do to identify the problem.

Thanks for all the testing tips.
    Last edited by jaboobie; August 19th, 2006 at 12:43 PM.

The more I read, the more I think it's a bad module.
    I want to get a job as someone who names kitchen appliances. Toaster, refrigerator, blender.... all you do is say what the shit does, and add "er". I wanna work for the Kitchen Appliance Naming Institute. Hey, what does that do? It keeps shit fresh. Well, that's a fresher....I'm going on break.

Mitch Hedberg

Yes,

Your module will need to be replaced, I can already see from your photo from the front of your module, that one of the middle gear clips is broken.

Here is a new module for your model:
    Part#628366
    Icemaker control module and motor assembly

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

...and the module is ordered. I'll post the results to add to the abundance of helpful information already listed on these forums. Thanks.
    I want to get a job as someone who names kitchen appliances. Toaster, refrigerator, blender.... all you do is say what the shit does, and add "er". I wanna work for the Kitchen Appliance Naming Institute. Hey, what does that do? It keeps shit fresh. Well, that's a fresher....I'm going on break.

Mitch Hedberg

Sounds good.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Gear cracked

When I took the module out I saw that not only was the gear tab broken but the gear was cracked as well. When the gear was twisted it pulled the contact points on the gear away from the contacts on the module. That kind of makes sense as to why the ejector tines were moving but not all the way.

Mitch Hedberg

Yup, good photo, I see it well.

That new module you ordered comes with all that as an assembly, You should be back in business when that module arrives.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thumbs up Success - ICE!

The module was delivered yesterday. As soon as I got home I snapped it in place and put the ice maker back in the refrigerator. It took a few combinations of unplugging the refrigerator and messing around with the optics to get everything started. I suppose everything needed to reset but after 5-10 minutes, the water filled the tray and I woke up to:

ICE!

Thanks Jake. I'll be back when something else breaks, because it will.

Mitch Hedberg

Good job fixing it jaboobie.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts