Thread: E1-F2 Error Code

Post E1-F2 Error Code

I have a Kenmore model 665.9582* (last digit * is either a 2, 4, or 9) Sens-a-clean range with Ultrabake system. It was purchased new in 2003. The error code E1 - F2 keeps coming up on the clock panel. Hitting the reset on the control panel gets rid of the error, but it always comes back, sometimes right away and sometimes it takes a few hours or days. If the error comes up during a timed baking session then the oven shuts off and loses the baking program that was in progress. Tried shutting off circuit breaker to range for several hours in hopes this would reset the controls, but no improvement. I understand from what I've already read that this range is not made by Kenmore, and is probably a Whirlpool, but I can't find E1 - F2 in any of the error code charts. What does this code mean, and how can I fix this so the problem stays gone?

Post imported post

The best that I can determine from the fault codes is that the *ribbon* on the range electronic control----is not tight enough.

If you unplug the range and remove the rear panel behind the electronic control.

There should be a tape-like ribbon that goes to the circuit board.

This ribbon is problably not snug enough at the connection.

I've read about servicers tearing off the cover of a pack of matches and inserting it into the connector to improve the fit. This can only be done by pulling the ribbon out and looking at it to see which side is bare metal (basically flat wire) and which side is insulated or non-exposed wires. Obviously the matchbook cover must not be pressed into the side of the ribbon that connects with the pc board wiring.

John

Post imported post

Windjammer wrote:
    Kenmore model 665.9582* (last digit * is either a 2, 4, or 9)
    There should be another 4-5 digits in the model number (eg. 665.95822000, 665.95824003, 665.95825100, 665.95829005), not just 1.

The error code E1-F2 keeps coming up on the clock panel.
    The only listing I have for that (or F2-E1) error message indicates that the electronic control is receiving electrical interference. But without the model number I don't have any way to double check it.

There should be a 'tech sheet' (usually inside the control panel) which should explain what most of the error/fault codes mean and will often also list some test procedures for the range. Maybe someone can consult it?

JFYI

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site
    =D~~~~~~

Post imported post

I pulled the model number info from the cover of the instruction manual, that's why some digits were missing andalso is the reason for multiple guess on the last digit.

Pulled the range out yesterday and found the "Tech Sheet" stuffed into a pocket on the back of the range. According to that sheet, E1 - F2 was indeed related to a loose or damaged ribbon cable. When I went to disassemble the ribbon cable, it fell right out before I had even finished removing the little plastic clamp piece that's supposed to hold it in place.

The ribbon cable in this case appears to be a mylar (or similar material) sheet with the conductors encased within. Neither side appeared to have exposed conductors - they both looked the same.

I elected to try the paper shim on the side that was easiest to gain access to, the side facing the outside of the arc or bend in the ribbon cable. The matchbook cover was too thick to fit into the connector, but a 3x3 Post-it note folded over double did the trick. It takes a little patience to get the paper and ribbon installed together so that the ribbon is in there nice and straight, but it would seem important to make sure it's positioned correctly. Got it back together and trimmed away the excess paper. Range has been back under power for 24 hours now without any errors. Since the problem had been getting worse lately, with errors popping up several times per day, I'm inclined to think it's fixed now.

Guys, thank you for your advice, it really helped!

Post imported post

Windjammer wrote:
    I pulled the model number info from the cover of the instruction manual
    It's always a good idea to get that information right off the appliance's model and serial number tag. That is the only reliable place the complete information will usually be printed.

BTW. Did you ever get the complete model number? I'd be interested in knowing what it actually was. If you never looked for the tag, you can find tips on where it is likely located at this link:

LINK > Model Number Tag Search

When I went to disassemble the ribbon cable, it fell right out before I had even finished removing the little plastic clamp piece that's supposed to hold it in place... Range has been back under power for 24 hours now without any errors.
    Glad to hear you appear to have found the problem. Thanks for the detailed repair report.

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    =D~~~~~~

Post imported post

I found the model number tag inside the warming drawer cover, complete model number is 665.95829002. The one I have is S/N RL2512782.

Range is still functioning normally with no errors. Thanks again for your help.

Post imported post

Windjammer wrote:
    Range is still functioning normally with no errors.
    That's great, we'll keep our fingers crossed for you.

Thanks for posting the model number too.

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    =D~~~~~~