Thread: Kenmore Elite HE3t Washer Problem

Post imported post

I have this unit for about 17 months and it was working ok until today.

The error code I get is F02 but when I check the areas the user guide suggests I find nothing wrong. The only symtom is that it won't spin. It's stuck on the drain cycle. I hear a low hum and that's it.

I manage to get the wet clothes out but the water will not drain.

I have been getting request to purchase extended warranties from numerous sources and now am kicking myself for not doing so.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Moorpark (via Motherwell, Scotland), California, USA

Post imported post

Check the pump - Open the bottom panel and unscrew the filter from the pump, it will be wet and messy so have a load of old towels handy. Check for obstructions in the pump.

Post imported post

Thanks for the quick reply...I did as you suggested and found my daughter's sock and some hair balls. I took those out and after putting all the panels back I restarted the washer and to my joy it started working! It was in the spin/drain cycle and it was spinning!

However, my joy was short lived...I decided that I should rewash the clothes that were in the washer when it malfunctioned and after stopping the washer and reloading the clothes I tried restarting the washer....to my disappointment it just stalled again...same symtoms.

I'll probably go and open it up tomorrow morning and take another look to see if there are anything I forgot to take out....hopefully that that's all it was.....

Again - Thanks! If you have any other thoughts please please relay them to me so I can give those a go since I will be opening her up again.

Moorpark (via Motherwell, Scotland), California, USA

Post imported post

Quite possible something else has worked its way down there, front loaders of all types are prone to that.

Post imported post

Ok...Thanks! I'll give it another go after breakfast....hopefully that's it and we'll be able to use the washer again...I'll report back in a bit.

Post imported post

Well...cleaned the pump out again but there were only a few strands of thread and that's it. I plugged it in without replacing the panel and it spinned...but I then the dreaded F02 displayed again. I pulled the pump and took out the three screws and inspected the area for debris...there was a little (looks like grime and stuff) and after replacing the unit back to the washer I ran it again....same problem. I noticed this time that the washer wasn't making that draining sound that it used to make and after some looking around I noticed that hum I heard earlier was from the solenoid part of the pump. I'm guessing that the pump is probably bad...guess I'll order a new one and replace it and hopefully it'll work. Thanks for all your help....and if you have more insights please do comment.

Thanks again!!!

PS - Any suggestions on where I should get the part??? Thanks!

Post imported post

boytroy88 wrote:
    Any suggestions on where I should get the part?
    Whomever has it is stock, offers the fastest and/or cheapest delivery or the cheapest part price. Your choice. They'll all come from Whirlpool so they should be basically supplying the same part.

Once you get the part number, you can check availability of it at a number of different on-line part suppliers in a single shot in the 'Repair Parts' section of my web site linked below.

JFYI

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site
    =D~~~~~~

Post imported post

Hello, I am having the same problem. Our washer whether it is in the wash or rinse cyclestops and flashes F02. We stop the washer and restart it and it works for awhile but then stops again. We have made sure it is level and cleared out a sock that was stuck between the rubber down by the door (we thought this might solve it b/c it may have been blocking proper draining). However, we are still having the same problem. You mentioned checking the pump by pulling off the bottom panel...is this panel in the back of the machine or actually on the bottom of the machine? Thankyou for any help you can provide!!

Post imported post

Hi Robert,

Is yours the same model HE3tas boytroy88's?

If so, the front lower access panel comes off, take the 3 torx screws off from the very front bottom, then giggle that front bottom access panel and it will come off.

Then you will see the water pump in the very front middle with the handle you turn to open it, just have alot of towels ready if some water comes out, I recommend a hose pinch clamp tool to cut the flow of tub water off on that rubber hose before the pump, you can get those at Sears, or any hardware , auto parts stores.

Good Luck!

Jake

Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts