Thread: Kenmore 790 Cleaning/Opening

Default Kenmore 790 Cleaning/Opening

Hello all,

I have a white kenmore 790 gas range, purchased used. The range works fine; however the door lock (i.e. the actual latch) is missing, theoretically allowing someone to open the door when it is supposed to be locked. My question is this: I am interested in cooking thin-crust pizza at very high temperatures. I was thinking that I could put the oven on clean, let it heat up to well above 550, cancel the clean, and then open the door to put in/take out pizzas. My only concern is that opening the door when it is supposed to be closed would confuse the oven or cause it to shut down. Does anyone have any knowledge of what would happen? (note: I am familiar with the use of extremely hot ovens, so that part is not a concern).

Many thanks in advance.

-Mike

G'day,

Without the lock being locked, most ( all? ) ranges will never get into high self clean temp.

Normally the door must be locked as a safety.

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid

The door can "lock" - the oven thinks it is locked - its just that the actual latch has been clipped a bit so that the door can be opened even when the latch has been moved into the lock position.

Quote Originally Posted by theadvocat
    The door can "lock" - the oven thinks it is locked - its just that the actual latch has been clipped a bit so that the door can be opened even when the latch has been moved into the lock position.
    My only concern is that opening the door when it is supposed to be closed would confuse the oven or cause it to shut down
    I doubt the oven will shut down or become confused, but I'd hope the glass in the door doesn't shatter going from such a high heat to being opened into the room temp...normally the door lock would not allow the door to be opened until the oven has cooled below 500F.

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid

Hmmm, thats a good point. We had it at 550 for several hours and then began opening it, and there wasnt any apparent problem. At what temperature is the glass likely break?

The door normally won't allow itself to be opened once past approx 500-550F and won't open until the oven has cooled below that temp...unsure what 800-850F ( normal self clean temps ) would do to the glass if opened into room temp.
    I would presumme it is safe up to that 500-550 point.

It is heat tempered glass on the inside of the door...but unsure what would happen if cooled in room temp air.

I had a customer once pour some water onto the door to cool it faster after a clean cycle so they could open the door...the glass shattered.

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid